Whats Your Preference For a Small Rig????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mz91, Dec 8, 2002.

1. 1*15

86 vote(s)
  2. 2*10

132 vote(s)
  3. 1*12

81 vote(s)
  4. 2*12

72 vote(s)
  1. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I would like to know what your favourite small rig setup is. ie if you have one small cab and a head.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well until recently i would have said my eden 400 and a bagend 15
    however, after just getting a stewart 2.1 power amp to go with my alembic preamp, i would have to say i'd rather bring those if possible
    a little extra weight, but the power/volume difference is substantial enough that i can compete with a half stack
  3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    My favorite would be a 112 over the 212 because of weight. But I almost always use two of them.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Eden 210 XST and either a small Eden head (WT-300, WT-400), or Mesa Boogie Walkabout.

Youd get more power out of the Eden rigs, but the Mesa has some pretty kicken tone 2.

5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm currently rocking one avatar 112 along with my AMP BH-260 for small gigs, but i like it so much i'm going to get another to use for big gigs.

so i'd say 2x12 :)
  6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I voted for a 2x10 setup. Run an SWR 350x into a Goliath Jr. III.
  7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    My current small rig is a 1x12 (Epi), big rig is 2x12, and really big rig is 2x2x12, all with the same Demeter/Mackie rack.

8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Or buy a Super Redhead, if you'd be willing to trade those 'x' features for 'all in oneness' ;)
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I retract my earlier post.

I would have to say that my Eden Nemesis 2-10" combo is a better rig because of size and weight.

Its slightly smaller than a 210XST (which is smaller than the XLT) and also weighs a little less even though it has an amp built in.

Lets not forget to mention that you dont have to bring a seperate head either.

Its tone isnt as good as the previously posted rig, but it is still pretty kicken.

Its a killer all in one package for small gigs, and/or practices. When Im using that, I take all my gear in on one trip. Bass, pedals, and cables on back in a gig bag, amp in hands.

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yup, I have one :D

I was gonna mention a Redhead, but mz91 said he is looking for a head and a cab. I still highly reccomend the Redhead, though.
  11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    1*15 for me, because if there is ONE and only ONE range I need to privilege, it's definitely the low-end.

But it's my very personal taste, and I am no slap-pop-tapper.
  12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I going to have 2 112 rigs I allready own a ultra walter woods and a berg ex and ht 112. Tight, acurate,Tiny ,light, Loud!

Im puting together a aguilar 359 (2)gs 112 rig
    For that bi bloomy bernished tone.

I gonna have acsess to a digital camera soom too!

13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i was always a 1x12 kinda guy, so i voted accordingly.

but eversince i got my Acme B2 2x10, its hard to imagine ever going back to that route. the 2x10 is waaaay punchier, weighs only 50 lbs., and handles my LowB with waaay more aplomb than any 2x10 out there.

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Got to ditto that. I went with two Acme Low-B2's at 4 ohms each. Bring one for small rig, bring two to make a statement. The usual disclaimer here....make sure you have plenty o' wattage, they are power pigs. When I work in the French Quarter in New Orleans, I have to park away from the gig and work my way in a few blocks. Small, light and powerfully full Acme's make me Happy.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just came back from a rehearsal and I used my Bag End D10BX-D 210 coax cab. Excellent cab for single use (4ohms). Sounded great with my Brubaker NBS-Custom 5 and AMP BH-420 amp.

My regular rig is so small and light I usually take it everywhere, even to practice. Compact 1-12 and 1-15 cabs and a small 400+ w head. My rig
  16. phairphunk

Jun 19, 2000
    I've got a 1x15 with a tweeter, which gives me good low end, and I play an Ibanez ATK which (along with the tweeter and eq) doesn't sacrifice the punch.
  17. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I love the Eden Metro Combo so much that I'm buying one tomorrow! It's a 300W amp with a 210 cab. Can't wait.
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm not sure if a Bergantino HT212 (25-1/2"H x 22-3/4"W x 18"D) would ever constitute part of a "small rig", but holy crap, it roars. Seems to move more air than my previous 2x2x10 stack.

If the HT212 doesn't count, then change my vote to 2x10. :)
  19. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    1x15 for me (sometimes 2x15) 'cos I'm a Non Slappin' and Poppin' Old Fart......
  20. I have a PV 210TX I've had for years. It's my practice and small gig amp. I wish it had a better pre-amp though.