What's your preferred Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Razor, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    With the infinite brands of pedals/effects for both g*#tar and bass...what specific distortion pedal or distortion effect do you prefer? I appologize in advance if this has been asked before.
    I am considering A SansAmp DI or a Marshall Guv'nor. I heard rumor that Tim Cumorford (Spelling?) from AudioSlave uses a Guv'nor on the tune "Cochise". I really dig the sound he has on that tune. Anyways...thoughts on the topic are appreciated.
  2. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Ok, so I soon find a pretty recent poll of Distortion effects....anyways, let's just make this a poll of the two above listed models and also a request for info regarding the AudioSlave rumor.
  3. My favorite distortion or effects?

Ampeg and or Orange 120 on 9 to 10ish. Tube amp overdrive, darlin'. Nothing beats it.
  4. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    my ebs multidrive is pretty sweet.. Its really flexible too.. worth checking out.
  5. I just auditioned a Hughes & Kettner tubeworks overdrive, an EBS multidrive and a Big Muff. I really like Tim C's sound too, and for me, the Big Muff came closest. Dunno what Tim uses, but I'm sure he blends in a clean signal as well. And Rick Rubin certainly has a thing or two to do with it!
    The two other pedals were nice too, but the Big Muff was just better for the sound I wanted. Try one out. I got mine used and really cheap.
  6. I use a Ibanez Tube King. It has a real tube, a 3-band eq and a noisegate.
    I also want to blend it with a clean signal, but I don't know how to do it yet... can a Boss LS-2 do the job? If someone can help me out here...
  7. Tom, I've tried the LS-2 for the excact same reason. I didn't like the sound, because you get all the hi-end freq's too, they don't fit well into the distorted sound. I think if it should work proberly you'll need a device that blends in only the bottom end of the undistorted sound. The LS-2 works like an effects loop with a blend or dry/wet knob. The EBS Multidrive blends in the low end, and in that respect it's very nice, but you can't adjust the level of the blended in signal. Try the LS-2 and see if you like it, though. Your highs may not be as "high" as mine (I use a Stingray with Steel strings and have the horns turned up a bit on my cabs).
  8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Tim actualy uses a Sansamp Bass Driver, or at least Tech21 says so... Oh and Guitar World...

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I still like my Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz. In fact, I like it more than ever.
  10. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Tech-21 Sans amp RBI rackmount.
  11. Thanks Carl-Anton! I'll try the LS-2 but I will keep your remarks in mind...
  12. No problem Tom. Good luck!
  13. Thanks. Good luck to you too.

Say, Carl-Anton, can you tell me if the Warwick Pro Tube IV can combine both his channels? It has an all tube channel and a solid state channel. I can't find any conclusive answer to this question, but maybe you have tried one...

I hope it can, because that would be great: combining a clean solid state signal with an overdriven all tube signal, it's not an expensive amp and it is European made... what else do we want more? :D ;)
  14. In fact I tried one! I thought it was a very confusing amp. I don't think you can blend the tube with the solid state preamp. I might be wrong though - it's over two years ago I tried it. Maybe you could email Warwick.
  15. Bummer! Well, in fact I mailed Steffen Mantz this saturday, the engineer who designed the amp. I'm waiting now for his answer but I'm afraid you're right. It's probably not possible to combine the two channels. So we have to rely again on the good old American stuff: Ampeg. The B5r has a built in distortion which you can blend in, and an octave divider... sounds good to me. The only thing is... it's all solid state. Oh well. I want to try one in the near future and then I will see...
  16. I guess I'll field that question about that marshall pedal.

If this is the marshall guitar distortion pedal, I would seriously recommend NOT getting it. I knew someone who had one of these, and it sounded very bad, not anything like the distortion found on Cochise. And we all not what guitar pedals sound like when used for bass :eek: :rolleyes: (Boss Metal-zone pedal used for bass anyone?;) )

Of course as always, this is my humble opinion, but I just thought I'd help out a fellow bassist and save him from wasting cash! ;)

Note: If I'm not talking about the same pedal you are please forgive me! :D

Best Regards,
  17. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I like the Sans amp but I've been really blown away by using a Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal. Yes its for guitar, but I run a clean tone as well for the bottom end push. The Mesa lets you have a high gain distortion, and a mild overdrive switchable. The sound is huge, I get so many gear heads asking what I use for dist. and they don't believe me when I tell them its the Mesa.
  18. I have a sansamp, a big muff, and a danelectro daddy-o

I use the sansamp as a preamp, the muff for most distortion, and the daddy-o mosatly for guitar, but I can get a really cool trebly sound with it for bass.

Get as many as you can, they are all fun and useful for *something*

for instance, I use my zoom 506 for primative octave sounds, and it works well for that purpose.
  19. I don't know what I like more when it comes to distortions. Lately I've been into more buzzing sounds, like when I turn all the bass on my amp all the way up. Though I find that better for raw, rootsy bass lines it lacks edge or crunch. Right now I need allot more crunch and attack to kill the guitar players in my death metal band. I like to put that texture in the pocket. Since I've been using so much overdrive lately I'm actually thinking of dishing out the money to get a SA PSA-1. That way I can get buzzing or crunching tones. I'd just have to figure out how to mix my clean signal with the distorted... I guess I'll just A/B them together and run the signals into a mixer then plug the direct line into my amp's front end. I'd like to get an IOD (its overdrive is too fat) but just to give my tones more body.
  20. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Fulltone Bassdrive.

It has true bypass, and 2 distortion modes (2 switches). Very solid pedal. You can get mild overdrive, or heavy distortion from it, just watch your speakers :eek: