1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats your Rickenbacker bass Volume/Tone settings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slax, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Saw the other thread and was curious what other Ric users use on their bass? (Btw, using a Ric 4003)

I usually keep the amp flat and everything open on the and the bass volume a tad lower on the Ric. Still doesn't sound 100% to me, wondering about input of other Ric users. :)

2. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    My 4003 vol dimed both, tone between 50-70%. But of late I've been toying with the idea of running all my basses to a Tapco Mixer: Ric on ch1 and Jazz on ch2. Then I can individually EQ before sending to AMP which is colored to produce a vintage tone that I like.

So with the Ric, once I start playing, I am just using the toggle switch to change pup configurations to fit song.

3. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    On my '76 4001 (with the cap mod) everything on 10. And I mostly play with the toggle on center. It just has "the tone" ;)

4. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    I usually lower the bridge pickup volume to match the neck pickup volume, tone controls somewhere in the middle. when I switch pickups via the toggle, there's no difference in output. if I need to, I'll adjust the tone controls to fit the song.

5. Whack everything on full, then back the neck pickup volume off by about 1/3.

THE Rick tone.:bassist:

6. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    I just changed to the hipshot bridge two days ago and I'm in tonal heaven. It really opens so many doors. I actually have an excellent tone out of the neck position pickup. I've been using that a lot as of late.

Typically, I have everything on full, with the treble tone down by a 1/3. This is for a very full, balanced sound.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I open up all of the knobs to 10 then roll off the neck volume to 7-9 range and find the "Sweet sopt"

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

Me too.

9. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    I just have all controlls full up and get the tone variations by different spots and fingerplay. The controlls are rarely used at all.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Exactly the same for me.

11. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    What he said....

12. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    4003 and 4001S- volumes at 10, treble tone at 10, bass tone at 0.
    4001CS- volumes at 10, treble tone at 10, bass tone at 3.

13. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    v63: both vol 10, bridge tone 0, neck tone 0 or 10 (for some presence with the pick)

i strung it with flats, so there not much use of a tone knob for me :)

14. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    All knobs 100%, and one pickup soloed or the other via the pickup selector switch, 99% of the time the bridge pickup.

On the amp, or mixing board, or wherever... I usually roll off a little bass below 75Hz or so, and boost in the 900Hz-1.2KHz range.