Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your role in the band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by McHaven, Dec 12, 2005.

1. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'm not talking about instrumentation. I mean, what is your position in the band when it comes to writing/booking/etc?

In my band, the guitarist writes the majority of the music and my singer writes all the lyrics. I book the gigs and promote the shows and handle the money. My drummer just kind of goes with it.

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I add anger to their alt-country.

3. well, my role WAS *******.....

Now I don't know WHAT I am.....I feel so lost..... :p

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    MD, part writer, and some of the business stuff like endorsements, booking, etc.

Nettor: You should try to get involved in the writing. Trust me, you'll thank me for it.

5. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005

I try, but I have real trouble writing rock music. I'm trained in classical composition and lot of it just doesn't fit. But when my guitarist plays a riff and i can always make it lead somewhere if he can't.

6. I get to sit and be told what to play, usually lie down on the job, also have to take care of unruley people

7. I write a lot of material, and we as a band have been getting better at juggling other duties. Right now I'm assigned to getting all our cover art finished up and ready for our album. I also tend to conflict resolution when we have disagreements.

I definitely second the comment to get more involved with writing.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I do so many different projects that my role in any one project is never the same. Sometimes I'm in charge of everything, sometimes I just show up and go along for the ride.

9. I'm not always very good with coming up with riffs or progressions, but I do like taking a piece that someone brings in and completing it, coming up with ideas on where to take it, etc. I'm not a riff machine but I do get "visions" of the song as a whole and how it could sound. I'm more on an organizer. Ideally I'd like to be in a band where riffs come from another member and where I can simply add bass and work with the structure a bit.

10. My role in my current band is the guy nobody pays attention to.

11. I feel special lol cuz i have wrote all the songs we have made. The guitarist added a line in a chorus and thats it.

12. you get the "shuttup you, your the bass player" line too ? :p

13. we have an agent/manager so thats all cool...i just scope out songs, arrange setlists, arrangements all that type of stuff

14. They don't tell me to shut up, but don't always seem to realize that I exist.

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Roughage.

16. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My current band hasnt been too bad. Guitarist tends to dominate the writing process (most likely because the music I bring to the table is odd-time or progressive sounding, which can be hard to work with when you are stoned), but they do listen to me. I used to play in a super aggressive prog/polyrhythmic metal band, and this one is more alternative-metal, so I usually contribute the real heavy rhythmic grooves.

Drummer does a lot of the face to face contact with booking people and venues. Guitarist and I keep the online presence going strong (local forums, myspace). Singer/drummer/guitarist flyer up the downtown area, I flyer up the university area.

It gets frustating now and then though, because I really want the music I write to get out there. The band doesnt seem to know how to do music that doesnt have the guitar at the center of it.

17. well i write most of the lyrics for my band due to our singer not being whats the word... "lyrically minded" i also help write the general riffs.

18. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Aside from being the bassist I am in charge of advertising, booking shows and PR. I am also the "band practice leader" (or whatever you wanna call it) which usually means coordinating band practice, and selecting which songs everyone will learn for next practice.

My singer/guitar player usually introduces a song which we all build from and add our own ideas to. Sometimes I will help my singer write a song and add my 2 cents with lyrics/progression for guitar parts but for the most part it is him. My drummer is the producer, he does all the recording and puts together the website. My lead guitarist is a virtuoso and just kinda goes with the flow :D .

19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The guitarist writes it all... the drummer puts it in order...

Basically, I clean up the mess.

20. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Wait. You guys share responsibility?

I write all the material, book 90 percent of the gigs, do the website, organize rehearsals and recordings, mass produce cds, do promotion, make setlists, make/order merch, set up/tear down, transport equipment...

Bassist and drummer just show up.

Hmm...