Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, May 19, 2000.

1. I want to know what you guys, the almighty bass players from around the world. I personaly use a Marshall 100-watt head and a 4X10 Crate stack. My lead guitarist uses a 200-watt Peavey, and my back-up uses a Crate 150-watt Marshall head with THREE 4X10 cabnets. (thats a lot of sound.) So tell me what urges your sound along.

Rock on
    Eric

------------------
    Do you know why the tape measure is so much better than you? You have what, six feet in you? IT has 25 feet in it. THAT'S why it's so much better than you.

2. Hi Eric -

My main rig is:

Peavey Max pre-amp
    PV 260 power amp
    Peavey 115 cab
    Peavey 210TXF cab

I play with 3 guitarists who play through Fender, Peavey and Line 6 amps. Our keyboard player uses a Roland KC-500.

John

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Nothing too huge or awe-inspiring, but I like the sound:

Crate BX-100 linked to a Crate BX-15 (for mid-highs) and to a custom built 1x15" and 1x8" cabinent. Total, about 112 watts, plenty for what I do.

4. calvin_and_hobbes11

calvin_and_hobbes11

Apr 26, 2000
    I dont know if you wanna hear from us combo guys, but anyways... I have a Peavey Basic 112. Im very proud of it because I just got it about 3 days ago [​IMG]

5. Currently I run two SVT-III Pros...one drives a 4X10, the other a 2X15. As soon as my vintage V4B gets resuscitated, I plan on adding it to the SVT-III's and I'll throw in my other 2X15.

Maybe I'm getting too loud...

6. bassphreakz

bassphreakz

Mar 19, 2000
    I use a custom made Trace Elliot head that has 580 watts and whatever speakers I can get ahold of for the show. Last time I used 2-18s, 3-15s, and a 12-inch monitor. And I still had plenty of power left. Probablt because they were Peaveys and they lie about their power ratings.

7. Bass Case

Bass Case

May 20, 2000
    My main rig is a Hartke 3500 into a Hartke 115 and 210.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For a lot of gigs, just an SWR Baby Blue combo.

For louder stuff, an AMP 420 head (400 watt) into one or two EAW cabs with 1-15" EVM each.

Basement practice amp is an old Fender Bassman Ten.

9. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I use a Yorkville Bloc-250 head and a couple of 15 cabs. I think I'm gonna build me a 2-10 cab for smaller gigs and to put on top of a 15 for larger rooms.

------------------
    Paul

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    2 Hartke 4x12 aluminium cone guitar cabs
    2 yamaha sw118iv 1x18" pa subs

for recording:
    aguillar db-680
    bgw performance series 3 power amp

for performance:
    trace elliot ah600smx
    marshall jmp-1 midi tube guitar pre-amp

------------------
    john

strings! strings! i need more strings!

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Small to medium stuff: Ampeg B-100R

Small to Larger venues: AMP BH-420 (400w, the best amp you've never heard of [​IMG], Yorkville 115BX w/EVM-Mesa Boogie 400w 15 and Yorkvile 210 (stock).

Laying around the house:
    Polytone MiniBrute III
    Sonic MM15 (tiny vented 15 cab) w/Emminence 300w 15
    Genz Benz 12T (ported 1-12 with tweeter), Yamaha PB-1 preamp

way too many spare (yeah, that's what I tell my wife) amps and assorted goodies. I like small rigs and I'm completely satisfied with what I have.

12. SWR SM-900, Eden D-410XLT.

13. Eden Traveller Plus
    Eden 410XLT

I also own an old Ampeg V4-B head and a Peavey 210TX. I sometimes use these for biamping my Rickenbacker (one amp per pickup).

In one band I play with, I play direct into the PA - directly behind me are 2 Peavey International 115 speakers (3 way with 15" Black Widow speaker) powered by a Peavey XR600C mixer/head. It actually sounds really good or I wouldn't use it, plus it saves me carting an amp around to those gigs since the band leader owns the gear and it lives in his van.

14. I have an Aguilar DB 659 pre-amp with a Crown MicroTech 1200 running two 4 ohm cabs: An SWR 2x12" with Black Widow speakers (700watts RMS) and a Hartke 2x15" with Eminence speakers (600 watts RMS) And I still can compete with my guitar player who uses a Soldano half-stack???? [​IMG]

------------------
    Confucius say "Panties not best thing on earth, but right next to it"

15. jwoertz

jwoertz

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    Ibanez SR-480 natural finish bass
    SWR WorkingMan's 4004 head
    BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer
    SWR WorkingMan's 2x10 TOP
    SWR WorkingMan's 2x10 BOTTOM

Good enough for me!

Jeff

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

Eden WT-400
    Eden 4-10XLT
    Zoom BFX-708
    Lots of cords
    MM Stingray
    Tobias Toby pro5

17. chymel

chymel

Apr 16, 2000
    Eden WT-500
    Eden 4-10XLT
    Keith Roscoe 5 string
    SWR Basic Black - Small Gigs and practice

------------------

18. Bird

Bird

Apr 19, 2000
    Yamaha TRB 5P
    Fender Jazz Deluxe V
    SWR SM400
    SWR Henry 8x8
    T.C. Electronics Parametric E.Q.

19. At the moment I use a Marshall B150 Combo which I DI into the PA. I love it.
    But what is wrong with a Marshall Head and 2 4x12 cabs ? It's what I really want ....

20. Al Steen

Al Steen

Feb 1, 2000
    Bass -> Cord -> Amp -> Ears [​IMG] .. Al

OK, Usually it's my JS2 or Starfire straight into the Cyclops. Mid Scoop and no EQ. Only enough compression to get even levels (ah the wonder of modern amps, they make my old short scale basses usable). If I use my P-bass I hit the bass boost switch also. For recording it's a bass through a DI straight to the recording device (could be hard drive or A-dat these days) .. Al listensmart.com/badart