Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your showoff riff?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by yawnsie, Mar 21, 2001.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    C'mon - admit it! I think that a lot of bassists, or even musicians in general, have a riff or line that they like to play in public situations, whether it be in a soundcheck, shop, or whatever - at least, most of the bassists and musicians I know. Most of them seem to play RHCP songs, or nondescript slap riffs, but I'd like to know what sort of thing you play.

2. I don't play anything to good b/c I don't know anything that hard. I usually play the middle part of the four horsemen that metallica rarely played at their shows. I love that part. Esp. incorporating the B string with it =)

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I usually play the main riff from Ozric Tentacles' "Snakepit". It's a pretty easy riff, but it's in 7/8 and is in a "middle-eastern" scale, so it sounds extremely cool. :cool:

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I used to tap 'Message in a Bottle' by Police to show off :oops:

But I've matured since then... a little :D

5. the bass solo in "Genetix" by the Stranglers.
    actually loads of stuff by The Stranglers-eg. "Ain't nothing to it" and "Baroque Bordello".
    the lead bass riff in the middle of "Machine Messiah" by Yes.
    "Jamaican Boy" (a riff recycled from School days) by Stanley Clarke- for some reason I can never resist playing it!

"Torture" by the Cure for dropped-D tuning -simple, but sounds great.
    also "From the edge of the deep green sea" by the Cure to check the intonation (if G on the A string sounds in tune against D on the G string then it's fair to say that the intonation's okay!)

the beginning to "The Trees" by Rush.

and a RHCP line just to be predictable:D -Pretty Little Ditty(excluding slap part).

I usually never play slap bass in a shop. (usually only AFTER I've unplugged the bass:))

ps. If I'm feeling like I don't really care about what people think, add to that "Elephant Gun" by Dave Lee Roth and assorted bits of Billy Sheehan's tapping:oops::D

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i suck...i can't play anything

7. usually parts of omaha stylee (311) and assorted rancid stuff.

8. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Master of Puppets - Metallica

Pretty sad eh?

9. If any of you are good at transcribing stuff (IE playing by ear, perfect pitch), please someone post up a tab of:

off napster

Artist "Doom"

Title "Mike's Slap Bass Solo of Doom"

Please! I think that is among the top solos I've heard!

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Either the opening phrases of "Hall of the Mountain King" or "Lark's Tongue in Aspic, Pt. 2" - after the first phrase, my fingers get caught in the strings, and I resemble Curly getting into a fight ring. :rolleyes:

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    @ ThePaste

Please don't take this wrong, but this thing is horrible IMO! (I hope we talk about the same thing here: 3:07 2,975,680 bytes 128kb/s)
    It's neither a good solo nor executed well, he drops time and doesn't slap very accurately. In fact it sounds to me like any guy noodling around in a music store.
    It's lightyears behind any Wooten, Nitti or Riendeau stuff.
    Get Wooten's solo on Sinister Minister from the Flecktone's Live Art album - and you'll see.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My custom (i.e. made up) line. I call it my Funk line, it's a slap/pop thing at high speed. People seem to think I'm really good when I do it...but I know better...

13. well as they say "great musicians steal" so when I am playing and it is time for my spotlight I rip of the opening riff from Running with the devil.

those open E quarter notes kill.

:D

14. I generally play a fast slap line made up...or Zeppelin's "Ramble On" at a very high speed...

15. i just play my solo. im so proud of it, its my 2nd baby (my first being my bass, of course).

16. "Bassically" by Black Sabbath is good for showing off, as is the lick Geezer plays behind Tony's solo on "Iron Man." Or if you get a real simpleton, the main "Iron Man" lick itself will wow 'em. Of course, you can't do that with any experienced musician 'cause anyone who's played for more than a month knows that lick don't take much effort...

The outro of "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam is a great riff and so is "100,000 Years" by Kiss (Wait, did I just put Pearl Jam and Kiss in the same sentence? Naw, I couldn't have, that's impossible!)

But if you want a real panty-dropper, try anything by Aerosmith's Tom Hamilton (particularly "Sweet Emotions). Oh yes, she will be mine, oh yes....

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like to play the opening line from "Gaslighting Abbie" by Steely Dan. It ain't hard, but it sounds cool.

On another note, over at the Carvin factory, they have "Forbidden Riffs" lists in the bass and guitar rooms. You know, stuff like "Stairway to Heaven." I'll have to get the list for you. It's hilarious. I'm sure "Iron Man" is on there too.

18. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    The riffs from Meters tunes...if you're cool enough to know about the Meters and the value of "what you don't play", then you're also able to show that you don't care what anyone else thinks of your "chops"....you're there to groove!

19. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    ....and if I'm feeling particularly confident, I might spring into the opening of "Gutter Cat vs. The Jets" from Alice Cooper or "Handy" from Wishbone Ash.

20. super mario bros level 1-1 and 1-2...or the inspector gadget theme..
    I never "show off" to other bass players, though. IMO, its inpolite.