What's your sound?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, Jan 3, 2001.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    How do you describe your sound? What are the components of your sound?

My sound revolves around the mid-range growl. I get a tone somewhat similar to Jack Bruce on his "Sitting on Top of the World" celebration CD, although I play a fretted bass. I like a little bit of boost in the treble to provide a sparkle. And, with fresh strings, I get chills!:D:D
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    in the few tunes that me and my other inexperienced band mates have put together my tone has been mostly lows so they sound like tribal grooves. boom boom
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I used to tend towards a more growly tone...Jazz Bass, bridge pickup at 10, neck pickup at 4, tone dimed with fresh Rotosounds, thumb resting on the bridge pickup.

Lately, I am very into my flatwound strung P-Bass with the tone rolled back to about 3 or so, thumb resting on the end of the fingerboard. For more bite, I pull out the volume knob which bypasses all of the controls, (cool mod, avaiable from StewMac), and pick closer to the bridge. Gives me enough high-end for cutting through...

5. I like growl.
    Geddy Lee's tone is my benchmark.. listen to the bass break in "Freewill." That's THE tone. My holy grail.
    I've gotten pretty close, playing passive basses and digging in real hard. But I think my old Hartke rig added a little essential grit that I'm missing with the gear I play through now.
  6. I like a mid-growl. Also, a little fret buzz to make it interesting.

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I like a big, deep sound, like being hit on the head with a velvet pillow. I play a semi-hollow fretless 5 with tapewounds through 15s. I play a lot of reggae, so I like a boosted low end and a little goose in the midrange to hear the pitch better on the fretless. I've noticed that when I play at jams, I get compliments on the deep, rich tone. I like to stake out the low end of the sound spectrum for myself. Obviously, my setup wouldn't work for many players, but I like it.
  8. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    i like changing tones withint songs to kind of redirect a groove, i'll do verses with some slammin' mid range and some chorus effect, than for the actual chorus i'll boom out pure bass, sometimes with a lil transparency and without the chrous effect on. A lot of times though i like killing all the effects and controls, and letting my hands choose the tone, i'll mix up some thick pops from underneath the E with my thumb, from right near the pickup, and i'll use that to play the root note, and then lightly breeze/pluck a walk after the root to build up the next chord, and then i'll end a progression with some very chromatic tap patterns, but simple taps, not overly busy. Or on the other hand i'll just pluck some straight up groove and take advantage of my bass's good intonation. I really think handiwork is the most important part of creating a personalized tone, cause when its YOUR hands its YOUR tone.
  9. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    A big wall of clear low end, with as much mud washed away as possible, and just a little bit of high "clackity-clack" mixed in. Let's say 3/4 James Jamerson, 1/4 Fieldy.
  10. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Isn't mentioning Jamerson in the same sentence as that Korn guy some kind of sacriledge?

I play around alot with my sound. Generally, though, I cut back on the mids, put the lows all the way up, and put the highs near, but not at, maximum. And then I turn my amp volume to 11. ;)

Now that I have a fretless J-Bass, I'm absolutely crazy over that Fretless sound. I play it with the neck pup at 10, the bridge pup at 7 or 8, and the tone knob at 10. I used to have the tone at 1 on my fretted, but the fretless lets me play with that now without all that annoying fret noise. ;)

As for DESCRIBING my target sound, I'd call it something like Jaco, only even brighter. A little less mellow on the tone as compensation for playing simpler lines. ;) That's my standard sound for Jazz, Latin, Funk, and the Classic Rock end. When it comes to the more modern rock styles, I keep the same settings, but dig in alot more for that nice kick that seems to fit so well. I go opposite from the folks who like a flatter, deeper sound, and I head for a warmer, brighter, sharper kind of sound. Without losing that lovely low end, of course. ;)