Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your status as a bassist/musician?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Slaphappy, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Hobbyist (non-profit, no band bassist ;^)

60 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Journeyman (decent work; often with more than one project, but nothing steady)

50 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Semi-pro (steady gig, but not enough to live on)

65 vote(s)
    34.4%
  4. Pro (music is my way of life!)

14 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. I'm a hobbyist/recording artist. I'm happy with that status, but I would like to jam with others a couple times a month for fun, though.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I voted Semi-pro, though they way my situation is now, I probaly would fall more under Journeyman. My band has been pretty much defunct since our lead guitarist moved to Maine for a job. (He's a linguangist) I just recently did a recording project with other musicians.

3. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I needa band, otherwise I'd be semi-pro or pro, I love gigging, it's mah thing.

4. well i have a steady band, but we haven't made one cent at the 7 or so shows we've played so far. i guess that falls into your semi-pro category.

5. I like playing with other musicians in gigs or jams, but my main motivation it's the instrument itself, i need my bass dosis everyday!

EBP

6. Hobbiest / semi-pro :)

I have this " problem ".. when playing solo, i suck *** bigtime.. but when a drummer and guitarist come in, i kick *** bigtime ( so i was told ).

why do i say semi-pro ? well you see.. where i live there is this music-school where they give courses in rock.. young musicians can sign up for it.. then the school forms little bands out of the selection of musicians, and teach them how it's like to play in a band. but often there are no bassplayers that signed up, so they end up with a band without bassplayer. this is where i come in.. if they don't have a bassplayer for the course, they give me a call and i join in for the 10 weeks that the course lasts. and in return i get discount on my bass-lessons :)

so i actually get some form of payment for playing bass.. that's why i say " semi pro " :)

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's a sweet deal AllodoX.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    full time, plus benefits.

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I play for my local church for free most Sundays

I have a normal band that gigs once or twice a year and doesnt rehearse musch more than that.

I have a home recording studio and am going to do 'solo' stuff. I used the '' as my drumming sucks so bad I ve got myself a real one (and he's semi pro).

I play for odd church based projects as and when they come up.

I am involved in a semi retired jazz funk instrumental band but that looks like its on hold for another year.

10. :D Was semi-pro for 5 years - it paid for my engineering degree back then...

:( Quit performing and was hobbiest for ~20 years.

:) I started to jam in performance environments again recently and currently auditioning for 2 bands.

:cool: I classified myself as journeyman...

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, technically, I'm a Semi-Pro, by that definition. But I would call myself a Journeyman. I'd love to be a pro...but that's just dreams.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm somewhere between a journeyman and a semi-pro.

I play 3 times a week at a small church, play once or twice a month in an oldies band, and have an originals band(check out our music in my signature;)) that is rehearsing once a week and playing out once every 6 weeks, hopefully more in the near future!

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would fit the semi-pro definition but don't tell anybody! ;)

The main band I'm in rehearses every week and in a way has been too successful - we started out a few years ago as people who all have full-time jobs but wanted to play. We have manged to get quite a lot of high-paying gigs and made too much money!

So we are now always having meetings about what to do with the money - we're having one tonight -instead of a rehearsal!! So - we have "commissioned" songwriters/arrangers to write us tunes and hold workshops with us on Brazilian/Afro Cuban musical styles amongst other things, to avoid paying oursleves and having trouble with the taxman!

But recently we have got more "pro" standard musicians in, as some people have dropped out and we have only been able to replace them this way. Another way we use money is to pay pros to fill in when we have big gaps in the lineup. We found it very difficult to get amateur or semi-pro percussionists for Latin music and so we now have people who do make their living entirely from music on percussion.

14. I voted Hobbyist but I'm in a band, and have done two small musicwriting jobs* and recieved $350 for the first one and an Xbox for the second.:)

*Only MIDI+Reason though...

15. i picked semi pro

16. I´m a "hobbyist" right now. My band slit up a while ago. Before, we rehearsed about 1-2 times a week and about two-three gigs a year. What category would that have been in???

17. "hobbyist" except that I am in a band (no money)

18. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Well, I voted Semi-pro (which doesnt even close to indicate my skill level of playing, pro isnt even in the near future for me) but my band has a demo and we are regulars @ the venue for local bands so, we hit the studio in 2 weeks.

-cap

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    By your poll's options, I'm a semi-pro journeyman. I have a stready gig which doesn't pay any bills (burrito money, mostly), but I take projects on the side.

I would like to be a full fledged pro someday. Recent events are pushing me in that direction. I just hope it's the real thing.

20. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I picked Semi Pro, I have had a steady gig in my Zep tribte band for the last 15 years, We used to do the 4 night a week thing for about ten years but now once a month, I have a original band that plays and records and I have a classic rock band that my wife sings in that plays once a month so with all three projects I'm playng three or four times a month.
    I also run the website and do the booking for the original band and the classic rock band.
    I work a full time job also,!