what's your story?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by creeping_deth, May 11, 2001.

1. Hey ya'll,

I was just wondering when all you ppl out there first fell in love with the four string mother ****er? How old
    were you and how long did it take you to get serious? I was wondering this cuz I wanna see if I'm a late bloomer or not. Here's my story.

I got my first bass just over a year and a half ago at the age of 16. I intantily fell in love with the low end sound. After about a year after I traded in my Epiphone EB0 bass (I bought it for looks only...I was young, I was stupid!)and bought my current Fender Jazz Bass which I customized and it has yet to disapoint me. Just rencently me and my best freind finally got a full band together (a four peice with Two guitars,one on vox, Drums & myself on bass). I've been taking music lessons ever since I got my first Bass and really, really love playin' .I can't imagine a single day that would pass with out me strapin' on my Bass and rippin' out a Tallica' riff or two.

ANyway, nuff bout me,I would love to hear some of your guys stories, I'm sure their alot more exciting then mine, lemme hear em'!
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok...Well, I got a bass after a brief (like 4 month) stint as a guitarist. I was just sitting there, and suddenly, lightbulb on. "I wanna play bass!" and so I did. I think I ticked my mom off, beings that she bought the guitar as a christmas present. Then, after a few months got my first (and only) bass. I could have gotten a nicer one a while ago, but got other things instead...anyway! I think she was ticked off, untill I stuck with it, and impressed the Jebus outta her when I was practicing in my room:)

For me, it was just like a light bulb turning on. I just knew I wanted to play bass. It was outta left feild. At first I used the "4 strings, less to do" excuse, but now, looking back, that really wasn't the reason. I just started playing bass. Then suddenly music opened up as I started listening to, and for, bass in music. After a while I started playing in band (who couldn't play just as much as I couldn't) I've been playing for about 1 1/2 years now, and I've been through 7 bands (all fell apart due to the peoples lack of commitment, not to mention a few of those bands were different only by one or two people).

But heck, I'm bassin it, and loving it. I play hybrid heavy, funk, and rock. Nail you in the chest like a two ton brick! Not to mention the fact that I'm upgrading and improving...
  3. Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Ok, here comes;
    Actually I didn´t mean to start playing bass, I played guitar about 3 years before I found beautiful
    world of low voices.Cause allways as our band went to play, there was just 2 guitars and not bass.
    I allways thought it sounded ****, it didn´t got any balls.So, once I just took a bass and started to play it.And still I´m on that way.Have been about 2 years now:).
  4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I started playing guitar when I was 12, and I had been listening to RHCP and loved the sound of the bass, and then I said that I´d probably play bass in the future..And when I was 13 I tried bass for the first time! A Fender, I fell in love, but I didn´t buy a bass right away because I didn´t have any money, and when I was 14, September 14, I got my first bass.:)
  5. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I played drums from 1984 to 2000. My hands gave out on me and I switched to bass a year ago.

Do I like it more? No, not yet anyway. There's an agression that comes with the drums that I honestly don't think I can replicate on the bass.

Do I love playing bass? DAMN RIGHT! Not only am I one happy penguin that I can still be in music, but I'm having a ton of fun.

It's kind of nice being in such great demand too. In this area, bass players are hard to come by. I recently went to a concert and told a few buddies that I haven't seen in a while that I was playing bass now. I had about 5 offers to join bands that night. As a drummer, I never had trouble finding a gig, but the demand wasn't quite as high.
  6. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Hi, my name is John, and I too am a recovering drummer. (everyone: "hi John") I moved to Atlanta in '82 to go to college, and met some guys that were in a band. I figured I could easily step in and play drums for them once they heard my large chops. That thought lasted until I heard THEIR drummer! That was the day that I discovered that there was a lot more percussive talent in Atlanta, GA than there was in the small North Carolina town where I grew up! Anyway, they mentioned that they were losing their bass player to a job transfer, and I mentioned that an ex-roomate had left a cheap bass in our apartment when he moved. I told them they were welcome to it if they knew anyone who played. The guitarist told me to bring it to practice and he would show me what to play. My first gig with them was two weeks later, 14 songs, and little round Avery label stickers all over my bass neck to show me where the notes were!
    (I hope Jeff Berlin doesn't read this!) It's pretty much been downhill from there...
  7. 6 years ago when I was 13 a few friends and I just woke up one day and decided "Hey lets form a band". Keep in mind none of us had instruments or knew how to play. So we all picked the instruments we wanted to play, I picked bass.

Two of the members of that group of friends never bought their instruments (guitar and drums) however I bought a bass and one of my friends bought a guitar. 6 years later we are still in a band together and shopping for record deals, and playing out all the time.

So I guess I kinda picked bass just cause it was the first thing that popped into my head, now I would never even think of changing it as my main instrument.
  8. I'm seventeen and I really started playing bass 4 months ago. Ive always had an attraction to low end. I used to blay bass clarinet formerly and I could easily sight read which helped me enormously. There was also the fact that bassists are in high demand and guitars at the time just sounded whiny to me. So, I got a bass, A p-bass replica. I have practiced every day since that moment for quite a few hours. It has become a serious love of mine and has made me understand and appreciate music ten fold. I have customized my original bass aswell. I dont have the money to go buy a really nice (although Im saving my money), so I added a j pickup near the bridge, got new hardware and electronics and defretted my neck. There are a few dead spots but it still sounds fabulous and I love it death. As of now I still practice extensiveley, I'm really getting into jazz and am learning classical guitar (and because of my fingerpicking it comes quite readily). Overall the bass has changed my life and I havent even been playingthat long.
  9. slippy_6_finger

slippy_6_finger Guest

May 10, 2001
    Herrin IL USA
    I was 12 when I picked up on bass. My dad used to play bass, he was in some of the biggest bands in this area. I played drums for a while, I thanks to my dad I got my first bass a Rogue leaner type thing. I tried bass and I instantly fell in love with it. I know have a BC Rich and still use Rogue basses, and a zoom processer. I am currently in a band that I think will stick for a while called S.I.N.
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I started playing Drums in 1978,and switched to Bass in 1995.My friends band needed a Bass player and I was between bands,so I bought a Squier P and learned to play.I really enjoy playing Bass,but I have to second Acacia's comment on the aggressive factor of being a Drummer.I still have my set(8 piece double kick Pearl with Zildjian overhead) and someday may go back.
  11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I had for several years always wanted to play the bass. For some reason I was obsessed with it even though I´ve never played it. I didn´t want anything to do with guitars, drums or anything else. Then I got my first bass as a x-mas present in 1993, I was 17yrs old at the time. It´s a Fender look-a-like bass kalled Encore. It rocked (*cough-bullsh*t-couch*) But I got into a band right away with my brother and two of our friends. We practised quite a lot but at that time we were a lot into partying, that is drinking and smoking legally-challenged substances. Then we got kicked out of our practise room because of that. Then in 1995 I saved some money on my summer job and bought Washburn XB-500 (5 stringer) and Yorkville 400b amp. I´ve been using that gear ever since. I´ve since been in the same band with my brother and other friend of ours. Practising hard, composing our own songs and we´re gonna record a 3 song demo cd next weekend.
    It´s weird...I´ve always been drawned(spelling?) to the bass, I just love the lows and I just love to FEEL the bass in my body. I´ve even got "The Bass isn´t loud enough" syndrome..pissing the hell out of my bandmembers :) oh well....
    Never taken any music or bass lessons...always wanted though, but somehow I´ve never gotten around to it. Maybe in the future :)
  12. it all started when i was 13 and realized that i am one ugly guy. then it hit me! girls go wild for people who can just SAY they play a phat instrument. i was going to play guitar at first (forgive me), but alot of my friends already played it and i didnt wanna be a sh*tty poser jumppin on the banwagon so i started playin bass.

and i was right....chicks love it