1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what's your T.G.I.???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, May 25, 2007.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Most of us suffer from G.A.S (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), but have you ever sat down and tried to calculate the cost of your afliction??

If your curious just add up the cost of ALL the gear expendetures since you started playing bass. Include ALL guitars, amps, cabs, racks, pedals, etc. Include both the gear you currently own and USE TO own. I didn't count strings, but I did count some expensive mods or repairs. I'll call this number your T.G.I. or (Total Gear Investment). I know its not really an investment, but it makes for something easy to remember, hopefully, think TGIF?

Another number you will figure out is your C.G.I. (Current Gear Investment)

I was trying to think of a clever third term to correlate these numbers into some sort of 'gear expense ratio' that could be roughly used as a gauge of persons exposure to lots-o-gear and help you determine if you should listen much to their advice, subjective as it is, loosly based on their TGI or CGI numbers.

give your ideas if you like... my TGI = $15,160 CGI = $4,905 Ratio = 3.09

BTW this is mostly for fun, but would be cool if we might adopt some kind of system. I guess there is "post counts" or "gear lists" and then there's always the BOWLUSBLOG...:D

2. about 2000 and im still going

3. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I want to hear Tom's numbers. :) :eek:

4. Oh my...If I actually added it all up over the years I would probably be sick. My guess would be that all past and present purchase (not including sales returns) would be more than $40,000

Likely more...

I'm going to be sick ;)

CGI, I could do. I actually keep a head count just it case. My CGI = $4,450

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Including my dumb mistakes? :bawl:

6. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    More than $1.00, and a little less than the national debt.

7. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    I don't even want to guess. Though I'd be willing to bet my wife knows exactly how much I've spent on gear since we've been together (11 years).

8. run for the hills

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Almost all of my gear has been bought used and sold for equal or more than I spent on it. With the wheeling and dealing I've done (if you count both basses and amps) I've actually managed to make enough to pay for a decent amount of my amp rig. I'd be money ahead if I sold it all at this point for normal used prices.

Don't even ask about drum gear though. That's an entirely different ballgame than bass gear. :bawl:

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't know, and I don't want to know (see profile, and guess for yourself).

11. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Im curious to see what Tom Bowlus' TGI is.

I'm around $4000 CGI give or take $300 with my mediocre equipment. The new bass is a HUGE chunk of that.
    Lifetime wise roughly double that, most of it since the last year. There have been a few basses that I hastily bought and sold them very quickly.

Let me think:
    Univox 70's P: $150 :D
    Ibanes SR-400: $350
    Musicman Sterling $850
    Hartke 7000 $450
    Hartke 410 $500
    Hartke 115 $250
    BBE Preamp $150
    Rack Cases x 2 $120
    Fender 210 $150
    Line 6 Pod $150
    Ampeg SVT-3 $500
    Epifani T-212 $400
    Fender MIJ Jazz $150
    Ultra Jazz PU's $90
    Pedal board $65
    Pedal power $15
    Boss Chorus $50
    Boss Autowah $90
    Behringer BDI $25
    Monster Cables $175
    Eminence Replacement 15" $50
    Fender P-Bass MIA $750
    Musicman Stingray 5 $900
    Fender MIA Jazz 5 $750
    Warmoth Bass $1600
    Alesis Nanocomp $50
    Aguilar GS112 $300
    Rack Case $110
    Rack Bag $75
    Stewart World 1.2 $500
    Avalon U5 $450
    Cables from Bayou Cables $150
    MIM Jazz $220
    HAS-Sound Pickups $175
    Audere Preamp $175
    J-Retro Preamp $150
    Pickguards $125

my head is spinning. $10460. TGI.

12. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I just started playing again a few months ago (after a very long layoff), so this is fairly easy for me. My CGI is about $3k (may be rising very soon :help: ). Since I was a starving college student in my first go-round, my TGI isn't much more--not even $4k:D

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    About 3k. Fortunately I got my upright for free, but I am shopping for a new one.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Considering the massive amounts of gear I've been through in 30+ years there's no way I can do a T.G.I. That said, it probably won't match Tom Bowlus' T.G.I. of this millenium. :p

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021