1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's Your Take on the Bass of Doom Article in Bass Player?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasper383, Mar 15, 2008.

1. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I got the new Bass Player Magazine today, and apparently Jaco's Bass of Doom has been found and verified.

Will Lee, Victors Bailey and Wooten, and the BP Editor Chris Jisi went over it in the story. Bailey was the only one not floored by it.

For all the adoration one piece bodies get by some players, here's a bass that was once in 15 pieces, re glued, then capped top and bottom. :eek:

Were these guys seduced by the mojo, or can a basically particle board and glue bass be great one? Maybe it really is just in the hands and head.

2. It was an interesting article. Did they determine it was the Bass of Doom solely through the serial number on the neck plate? Almost everyone imagines the bass as the heavily mojoed sunburst, and yet it was capped by the flamed maple. It looks great with that top, in my opinion.

3. I'm gonna need to buy that issue, awesome! I wonder if they can trace it's dissapearance after jaco's death...

4. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Amen brother!

I dont get Bass Player ove here,but I'd say the only man alive qualified to authenticate any potential "Bass Of Doom" applicants is the guy who brought it back to life, Kevin Kaufman.

5. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    i think it's all in their heads
    i mean, really, it's just another bass
    it just happened to have beeen owned by the master

6. So I take from this you play plywood basses?

No, it's true that pickups only detect string vibrations, but the vibration of the string is affected by the wood absorbing and reflecting certain frequencies (hence dead spots).

But I'll agree that whatever these guys heard was probably purely psychological and might have been thoroughly underwhelmed if it were not Jaco's bass.

7. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I believe them 100%

8. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Just found this:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1909080

along with this:

It's the real BOD. Whether or not the extensive restoration diminishes the mojo is arguable, but it is, according to those who would know, the real thing.

The story says it all. Anyway, just want to confirm it is not an April Fools joke.

Jonathan Herrera
    Senior Editor
    Bass Player Magazine

I'm going to the store to buy that issue tomorrow. How is this discussion about the affect wood has on tone? This was Jaco's fretless bass!!!!!!

shawn

9. I couldn't agree more.

To Jaco....it was still just "a bass" even though he liked the way it sounded and said so (and granted...in his hands it sounded GREAT).

But Jaco had several jazz basses through the course of his career and when HE played them they ALL sounded the same. I get the impression that towards the end,when he was fighting the more serious manifestation of his mental illness, his basses became mere disposable commodities (as one could rightly understand) .

Its a well worn cliche' ...but its not the bass...its the player. Despite this age old truth, we players seem to be perpetually enamoured of instuments owned and played by other famous players...especially after they've passed.

Its the same with Jamerson's Funk machine.

In my view it just enables some sort of vicarious connection with the great men themselves. People forget that there are probably a lot of very painful memories attached to that bass

The fact is that the instrument was...and is...just an instrument...To say anything else just detracts from his musical genius. I would rather have Jaco here, alive and in good health...Im sure we all would. The really good thing though, is that if the bass has in fact come to light, then it can now be with his family...where it belongs. Jaco was a great family man and tried to be a great father to his children. As a father, thats what i really identify with. It was very easy to identify with his humanity. I choke up when I listen to "John and Mary"...I believe thats his greatest musical achievement. His humanity truly revealed.

10. Good luck finding it on store shelves tomorrow....If it's anything like around here, the issue shows up in the mailbox a week or two before it hits the stands.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Wow, this is some trippy stuff. I had an urge to go play some Jaco today, so I went out and bought the Essential Jaco Pastorius, learned just about every song, and played a gig. I played Amerika as the set closer. Come home, and now his Bass of Doom has been found.

Trippy man... trippy...

12. The article mentions Kevin Kaufman a few times, and a photo shows his inscription on the back of the headstock. It's the real deal. Amazing.

The article says there's video of the bass on bassplayer.tv, but it doesn't appear to be posted yet. Should be fun to watch.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I can't tell if your are kidding. :)
    I humbly disagree though.:) I have three of the same model of the same bass by the same manufacturer w/identical pu's and preamps and guitarists pick them up and hear that they sound different from each other not plugged in. The difference is that the woods in all three are different. The tops are different the fret boards are different yet the necks and bodies are the same woods. I repeat not plugged in.
    Have you ever played three identical P-basses back to back in say a GC?
    Why do they sound different? :)

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I am forced to disagree. The magnetic pickups indeed translate the vibration of the string into an electric waveform. However I think the vibration of the string itself is affected by the resonance of the wood. Softer woods will affect the vibration differently than hard woods.

Another example of how the transmitting medium affects acoustic waves is seismic response spectra. The vibrations created by movement on a fault start out with a certain spectral frequency content, but the nature of the earth materials between the hypocenter and a given seismographic station have a pronounced effect on the frequency content of the seismic wave at a distance.

Softer materials tend to transmit lower frequencies and harder materials typically emphasize higher frequencies. This was demonstrated in the earthquake of 1985 off the coast of Mexico, which resulted in the pancake collapse of thousands of buildings in the 8- to 14-story range in Mexico City, which was over a hundred miles from the epicenter. This was because the soft lake deposits underlying the city actually amplified the frequency content of the seismic waves that corresponded to the resonant frequencies of buildings of those heights.

Now, seismic waves are acoustic waves at frequencies just below audio. I find it hard to believe that there is some magical cutoff point at about 10 hz that renders these principles invalid.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ditto. I have two Sadowsky Modern 5-24s, one koa over mahogany and one alder. Both have ebony fretboards, but the tone of each bass is distinctly different from the other. The mahogany body is much more aggressive sounding than the alder which is "warmer" and more mellow.

16. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Plywood would not be a good material for an electric bass for a variety of reasons.

HOWEVER, you have basses made of composite and other man-made materials including Lucite. They work just fine.

What players often consider as part of "the tone" is the vibrations into their own bodies, which are, of course, real. But there is NO WAY to project that using a magnetic pickup. None. Nada.

If you can transmit the tone into the string, have THE STRING vibrate differently because of the composition of the body, that's one thing, but in practice that "influence," if you will, is very small.

It's about 95% in your head, otherwise.

17. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Still respectably disagree. You are 100 percent that the pickup translates mechanical(the string) to electric energy. The thing is, that woods have different resonace frequencies which will, IMHO and IME affect tonewood enough to make a noticable difference. For example, I can tell the difference between my buddies Exotic Custom Skjold with an ash body and the same bass, except with a walnut body. I think it is a big enough difference, to my ears anyway, where I think one sounds better than another. Granted, it is subjective to the players ears, but there is a difference.

+1 though that it is in the player, but I played a show last night where my jazz bass just sounded better in the mix than my Warwick, and that is def. because of the res. frequencies of each bass.

Pretty cool about the bass. I think it is interesting to not only examine the players, but the tools they used to create their music.

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not sure what this means. Can you explain a little more? :p

19. For those who haven't seen the article yet, here's a scan of one of the photos. Of course, your first reaction is "THAT'S NOT IT", but read the accompanying article. Basically, Kevin Kaufman repaired for Jaco in the mid-80s, gluing pieces together and adding the figured maple veneer on front and back.

[​IMG]

20. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Wow. ZERO understanding of physics and inertia.

[​IMG]