1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whats your technique??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dreadheadbass, Mar 10, 2008.

what is your general tech

Poll closed Mar 15, 2008.
  1. beef up the bass n play smooooth baby

21.6%
  2. get that slappy pop on the scene we need some funk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. play hard play fast dig in n make them frets suffer!!

33.3%
  4. tappy tappy tap tap tap

3.9%
  5. average not too smooth but not too hard

19.6%
  6. other

21.6%
  1. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    this is just out of interest as there's so many different techniques and sounds that can be achieved on the bass i'm wondering how wide the spectrum is between players here on talkbass so what genarly speaking is your overall tech on the bass

*note* just because a technique and sound differs from your own it does not mean its a poor technique i dont wanna see any posts flaming other tb'ers just because they play different to you

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I play finger-style.
    With that said, i've found that i take a lot from jack casady's technique. I use my index and middle together(much thumpier, more powerful sound than just using one) most of the time. For faster, or more delicate notes I just do your standard middle/index alternating. I rarely throw in my ring finger, but find it unnecessary most of the time.

3. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    oh quick appologies for any poor spelling i had some bad news today so my wingman (mr jack daniels) has been helping me out with most brain activities:bassist:

4. Ah! Me first! I mainly use 3 finger right hand, though sometimes I'll go to two as I feel that technique is a bit more consistent at certain tempos. I use the Floating thumb technique, which I learned here (thanks TB!). Other than that, I occasionally slap (no double thumb, unfortunately), tap ( 80s style and two hand style), play with a pick, and Travis pick (basically finger style guitar). Interestingly, the two hand style was the first way I tried to play bass, maybe because I came from piano. It still doesn't mean I'm any good at it though!!!!

5. Fingerstyle. Low action. Light touch. Clean and deep amp sound. Make every note count. No noodling. Support the lead and the vocals. And give the audience something to dance about.

6. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    i play 2 fingers (sometimes 3) low action and agressive touch plenty of speed and runs and fills galore (i'm a wannabe steve harris n proud lol)

7. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Fingerstyle, 2 fingers. Funk, or whatever that Fits. I tend to funk up things a bit though as long as it's tastefully done. I vary my playing from soft to hard depending on the dynamics I want to express, and how busy the song is for my fingers. Busy song -> softer touch to improve the endurance.

If I could slap properly, I would probably use it more...

8. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I feel like I'm still developing my technique...I've generally played a heavy two-finger style...it's aggressive and honestly, a little sloppy...and most shows end with blisters...

I've been trying to refine my style a bit to retain stage presence while not completely thrashing my index and middle fingers...

9. well i play your normal finger style when doing cover stuff with somewhat beefed up bass but for my own stuff i like to do finger style with a few ring finger plucks thrown in as long with a few slaps and play closer to the bridge (moving towards the neck when getting ready to do a couple of slaps). Mainly smooth melodic playing rather than fast slap or fast driving eighth/sixteenth notes.

10. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

Option 3:)

11. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    I play finger 3 style fast thrash
    also a double finger pick technique a bit like bryan beller's
    probably why i can't make a set of strings last more than a week :rollno:

12. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    Depends on what i'm drinking that night :p

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I've got a weird three-finger technique where I either alternate index-middle or index-ring, and use the spare finger for... I don't know what, sometimes muting, sometimes string skipping, wherever it comes in handy. I honestly don't know what my right hand is doing most of the time but it works OK so I'm content not to know.

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I chose option 1, but reliable sources say that I'm a punk. I never really considered myself to be a punk bassist, but an old guy from around here that almost made it big in the 70's pointed out to me that I have some punk characteristics. I play finger style, but I favor sharp well placed almost staccato notes. I really couldn't argue the point with him, he's been on the scene for 40 years or so and made a really good case. So..... I'm a punk!

15. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    My technique varies with the song. Generally I'm a standard two finger right hand. Slower tunes I sometimes go to thumb picking (think Sting), and on some faster numbers I use a pick (aka plectrum). Some songs I switch technique between verse and chorus. There are an amazing amout of different sounds you can get with different techniques!

16. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    Hard and fast and make everyone suffer :smug:
    Depends on the song really. For the most part, I'll play heavy stuff, where I basically just bash the bass as hard as I can, but other times I'll be playing melodic stuff where you really need a silky smooth touch.

17. A huge +1

18. perfectarc

perfectarc

Dec 28, 2007
    Butterfly style, is what I call it.
    Thumb and index finger, alternating with sometimes the index finger leading on the downbeat. Wrist is very relaxed, slightly rotated out and away from strings, which brings the meaty part of the thumb to a good angle to contact the strings a a very natural economic motion. The index finger is extended backwards under the thumb, creating an "X" shape. This allows for the index finger to be in good position to jump back to the lower strings if thumb has move up to higher strings Some sideways bending of the wrist may be needed to bring the index finger into the "lead position" but this is a very small movement and the fingers dictate the sideways bending of the wrist.
    Using Thumb and & Index also helps with choking notes, doing easy octaves and relatively fast picking. The position of hand/wrist allows for the palm to hover over strings to mute as needed. The palm seem to naturally line up over the strings so that the middle crease in the palm can be used to nicely modulate muting or slightly reducing overtones.
    I'm a relatively new bass player, having switched from guitar about 3 years ago (still play both in the band I'm in). I play a pretty simple style; don't know if this would work for more advanced players styles.
    I have tried the standard thumb on pickup with index and middle finger and while that gives a great thump and authority, this style allows me to play with more dexterity, a more natural feel and no excessive bending of the wrist.
    The nice thing about this butterfly style that it is easy to pick up, feels natural, especially in moving over from guitar.