Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats your thoughts on the Jack Casady hollowbody bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGreaser, May 23, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking at getting one of these, and would like to hear what anyone has to say about them....good or bad.:D

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    if you do a search you'll find tons of info on this bass.

i can say that i love the tone, look and playability and i am collecting money to buy the only one i have seen abd tried here in italy. a goldtop one.

My friend Michael Jewels is the resident Jackster!!

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a Jack bass just look at my sig. I gig with it every week and it holds up, i am playing them with thomastic power bass strings and it really haelps bring the acoustical tone out. The tone switch can be a bit aggresive so you might one to check your amp setting with it. Good luck in getting one.

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    MAJOR METAL are they hard to get? If I get one I'll be using flats one her. FOr that oh so sweet early 60's tone

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

you do have to look a littel, check bass palace or ebay. My just meant i hope you get one, i would say this is got a better acoustic tone then acoustic basses.

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. I should be getting one in a few weeks

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Major Metal, We're FBB brother!!! I ownone of his 5ers with aero single coil pup..

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Along with the Fender '51 Reissue P bass, the Jackbass is one of the best values in non-USA made basses, IMO.

The Epiphone is the real deal--toneful and well-made. If you like the way it looks, you're gonna love it! I owned the one Major Metal has and always dug it on a gig or in the studio. Sweet basses. Jack Casady's involvement in the development of the pickup really resulted in a tone machine.

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    boogiebass

why did you sell it

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Because I have these, among many others vintage and new:

[​IMG]

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    does anypne have pictures with them playin the bass

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    :eek: and to think i'm saling my alembic spoiler to get a jackbass

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It's really a sweet bass with an exceptionally rich native tone. I also own a near mint Gibson Les Paul Signature bass from '73 (the instrument the Epiphone is based on) and the Epi sounds better due to the work they did on the new pickup. My feeling is that Jack Casady, besides being a great, innovative and creative bassist, is a pretty savvy sound man, too. He knows what a great bass sounds like and the Epi is proof.

Regarding pics, get Mikey to scan you some. He's got the BEST pics of a Jackbass around! ;)

14. I've got a Jack Casady bass and I love it. I can't compare it to the Gibson original, as I've never even seen one, but that doesn't diminish my regard for the Epi one bit. It's well made, solid, sounds great. The pickup can deliver a very natural acoustic sound. I just put some TI Powerbass strings on it -- and a great bass got even better. Mines the goldtop model, I'm thinking of taking the finish back to the wood. Not a sensible idea I guess, but I'm going to take the notion to my local luthier and let him talk me out of it. The neck on the Casady is great, very easy to play.

15. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    did anyone find anything wrong with the bass??

16. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Minor nitpicking, but you asked... :D

Your picking forearm may be a bit uncomfortable over the bound, not routed, body edge... Takes some getting used to...

When I got mine, there was a strange buzzing when I played from B to D# on the G string... After much investigating, I found it coming from inside the neck. The truss rod was completely relaxed and floating.. no tension at all. I snugged the adjusting nut and viola!

That's about it for me... Sometimes, this bass gets forgotten as others catch my attention... It sits unplayed and ungigged in my music room... Then I play it again and wonder why I ever hang it on the wall! Great bass...

-robert

17. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Make sure the bridge was attached in the correct spot, or you'll never get it to intonate correctly. I'm having mine worked on to fix this as we speak.

18. I'll try, Boogie. Some of them can't be shown to people under 17.('know what I mean?) :eek: ;)

BassGreaser, I got mine 2 1/2 years ago and still love it. It has such a beautiful, almost acoutic-like tone on its low setting, but, can snarl with the best of them on its high setting. I liked mine as soon as I opened the box (I had never played one previously) and it's been growing on me ever since. Everything that's been said about the Jackbass here is true. This is a VERY underrated instrument. I recommend them very highly. Its tone will really get to you.

Have you tried Jack's site? www.casadybass.com

Good luck. let us know if/when you get one.

Mike

I will try to scan some of the photos. ;)

I can't believe I missed this thread, but, that's what I get for not being online at the weekends.

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I know EXACTLY what you mean! ;) That's why I brought it up!

20. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

I have one, as well, and love it for the kind of music I'm doing currently (alt-country/rockabilly/roots-rock). It is truly a great bass that can be found around $475-550 on Ebay. Any stigma due to being made in Korea is totally undeserved. The quality is really top-notch except for some minor quibbles. On the whole, an excellent bass for a reasonable price.

Knocks on the bass:

1) Your forearm will feel indented after playing for more than an hour as this is not a bass with the greatest ergonomics.

2) Can be a neck-diver but easily cured by using a good quality wide strap.

3) Hardware is acceptable at best - Not worthy of the quality of this bass.

I slapped on a set of Hipshot Ultralight Tuners to deal with this and the neck-dive. Definitely a good move! I'm also picking up a vintage T-bird bridge to slap on.

4) Gig bags are next-to-impossible to find for this bass as Epiphone only manufactured a case for it. DEFINITELY BUY THE CASE, IF POSSIBLE!!!! You may have difficulty finding one after the fact.

If you need a gig-bag, Hohner makes a well-padded one for accoustic bass that works fine, if a little large. These can be found on Ebay for around $30 or contact Warp-Drive Music:

Email: customer.service@warpdrivemusic.com
    Phone: 1-800-800-0087

I think this bass sounds best when strung with Dean Markley Blue Steels - I prefer these even over the Thomastik-Infeld Powerbass strings I had tried.

My $0.02.