Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats your thoughts on.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzhed4, Sep 28, 2005.

1. bazzhed4

bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    hello tb'ers. have a question and would like any feedback anyone would have.

am currently working a trade for a mesa 400+. want to add another cabinet to my existing 4x10 xlt eden but having some trouble deciding which.

current thoughts are either going with another xlt 410.....a 1 or 2 x 15 eden....or maybe breaking down and going with the "in crowd" and getting a 2x12 eden. as you can tell i am a big time eden fan for speakers. anyone have any experience with any of these setups?

the only large rig i have ever run or played through for any extended period of time was a svt cl and a 8x10....loved the sound of having 8x10's but like i said i have never run any kind of rig with mixed speakers. (10's and 2's or 10's and 15's) with a head that was not biampable.

btw...i play primarily hard rock. i am currently involved in a hard rock cover band covering bands like mudvayne...slipknot...sevendust....hatebreed.....etc. but i want a rig that will be a lot more versatile than just being a one trick pony. i enjoy playing bands in my free time such as dog fashon disco...clutch...and experimenting with trying to learn jazz. i play a stingray 5 and a spector ns2000/4 neck through but will be adding another 5 string soon. either going to be a sadowsky metro m5-24 or a lakland 55-02

ok..so now that you all know my musical lifes story..what are your opinions. all 4x10's...or should i mix sizes. looking for good solid all around sound.....thats not going to fart when i have to tune to A.....and isnt going to sound like ass when i run up the fretboard for higher registers

any help would be hot.

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I was making the switch over to eden... bought a great 2x12 from another TB'er. Several deals on Navigator pre's fell through and I wound up with an Ampeg. And then I jumped on a good deal for an Ampeg SVT 410HLF... so in the end, guess i'm really an Ampeg guy.

While my 4x10's basic sound is a lot different than yours, I think the 2x12 makes a really great match with it. The different cabs compliment each other in a way that 2 times the same sound doesn't (to my ears). When I'm only using the 4x10, I have to mess with the eq. When I use (or used to use) 2 4x10 cabs, had to mess with the eq. When I add the 2x12 to the 4x10, I can take the eq out and it sounds perfect.