What's your "underdog" pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PupGoesPunk, Aug 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Effects like distortion, delay, and modulation effects are great because they provide easy access to completely different sounds, but what's your favorite pedal that's not so obvious? The sort of pedal that is crucial to your sound, but might fall under the radar of the average listener.

Mine is my Peterson Strobostomp HD! It's insanely accurate, super customizable, and built like a tank.

Liam Wald, scott sinner and Crispus like this.
  2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    When I think underdog I imagine pedals that folks might scoff at but are actually quite good. For guitar, two of mine are the Mooer Mini Comp and the Ibanez TS9 mini. Both were extremely cheap but they sound great and add quite a bit to my sound.

PupGoesPunk likes this.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'm mostly a K.I.S.S. set-it-and-forget it guy: often one tone per gig, though for hard rock I might switch between different dirt levels via multiple pedals. My underdog pedal is a compressor. I don't use it as an effect per se: it doesn't change my tone or limit my dynamics. I mainly use it for better presence in the mix via parallel compression, i.e. lots of dry signal that lets peaks through. I call it underdog because it's subtle, which is why I don't often bother to gig it (and I never use it at home), but then I'll play a gig and think "wow, that subtle enhancement took me from great to perfect".

I don't use it every gig because I'm an awkward pedal user. I often switch out dirt pedals from gig to gig (just for variety's sake), and also own a few great compressors from which I can't pick a favorite. So, I don't have a pedalboard, which is why I don't always use comp... for me, dirt is a must-have, comp is a nice-to-have.

PupGoesPunk likes this.
  4. Compressors are great! I recently started using one and I was shocked how much it can improve your tone!

Fuzzbass likes this.
  5. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Way Huge Green Rhino.

I don't even use it as an overdrive, drive turned all the way down, but it will break up just a little bit if I dig hard enough, and the mid it provides makes me cut through almost any guitar effortlessly.

6. Way Huge makes such good pedals! I have a Blue Hippo and a Swollen Pickle that I absolutely love. I'll have to check that one out :)

7. rizzo9247

rizzo9247 Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2008
    NYC
    Rusty Box

whitelodge likes this.
  8. For me it is the EHX Bass Balls. Since getting one oh so many years ago we just connected, those twin dynamic sweeping filters and that unique fuzz is an extension of my personality and voice on bass. I can play that pedal from subtlety to extremes and love the way it stacks with others to create synthesized sounz. I've collected several vintage originals, NYC reissues, a modded NYC as well as several adaptations like the Mooer Sweeper, Rocktron Heart Attack and Rocktron Reaction Dynamic Filter. I'm still trying to get a good model on my SA C4.
    I must always have one on my board, it would incomplete without one.
    IMG_20210723_153823627.jpg

MynameisMe, RJ and PupGoesPunk like this.
  9. vlsndgrdn

vlsndgrdn

Oct 21, 2013
    Chile
    My Maxon BD-02
    IMG_20210417_161638_235.jpg

Attached Files:

Bass4Brkfast and PupGoesPunk like this.
  10. akizh

akizh

Feb 12, 2019
    Taiwan
    The Markbass Super Booster is a must-have for me. Just with the VLE and VPE knobs I can get a wide range of tones from it.
    The VLE cuts the fizzy highs really well, especially after the drive pedals when giging with DI. No other cab emulation needed and it gives me the fat and deep sound of a big cabinet, and has some range of tweaking from the knob.
    The VPF also brings more low ends but in more aggressive way. It also cuts the low mid and boost the presence, which takes out the muddiness and make the tone cut through the mix.
    It's a really handy tone shaper!

Patchman777 and Zbysek like this.
  11. bassandboy

bassandboy

Aug 24, 2018
    Honolulu, HI
    I have a TC BodyRez that I use to take the edge off my piezo pickups so they don’t squawk over the mags. No illusion that it’s making them sound “acoustic”—there are IRs for that! But it really does make the piezos sound better on everything from solid bodies to Godins to EUBs.

amper and Zbysek like this.
  12. Boss LS2, for me. Aside from a better-than-onboard clean blend, it opens you up to parallel processing. If you've never tried parallel gain-stacking, you're in for a treat.

13. Klangfarbe

Klangfarbe

Jan 12, 2020
    Compression. The Keeley comp. pro is my always on Pedal. (Well except for practice or campfire jams;))

PupGoesPunk likes this.
  14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    My MXR Phase 100. I know the 90 is more popular and cheaper, and recently
    i tried to replace it with an Aguilar Grape Phaser because of top-mount jacks.

But those are way too chewy and intense for my taste. I'm just not that funky.

...most of the time.

Nah seriously, I don't know what it is about the phase 100. I just love the chunky
    orange box with the weird little diagrams on it. It's a keeper!

15. MynameisMe

MynameisMe What will you be remembered for?

Dec 31, 2018
    J'ville Florida
    My Darkglass Hyper Luminal compressor is my favorite pedal that is always on. It really gives my tone a little fattening and tightening.
    I've had four compressors and this one is the best one I've ever played through.
    Of course the sansamp VT DI is always on also. Lots of secret sauce between then both.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    EHX Black Finger.

Yes it's designed as a comp. And it works well for that. But, I can also goose the gain and get a very nice tube mild dirt from it. Or I can even turn down the comp and gain and simply use it as a tube tone "warmer". It works great for all three.

RJ and Bass4Brkfast like this.
  17. NUX melvin lee preamp. Inexpensive, great routing options, IR loading, preamp options, OD

onamission and Nunovsky like this.
  18. Aragrim

Aragrim

Dec 3, 2019
    Belgium
    I can't live without my DBX 160A rack. Sorry it's not a pedal:roflmao:

Scott Shaw and Klangfarbe like this.
  19. Saturn works custom loop selector with momentary switch with a level control.
    Hooked up to a bass whammy and a mooer thunder ball bass distortion. Set the whammy an octave up......hit the momentary and instant “distorted guitar” sound stabs whenever I want it.
    JB

neuman likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022