Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats your vocal range?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lo-end, May 15, 2002.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Just wondering what range you singers out there sing in. I consider myself a baritone even though I sing in the tenor range. I can sing down to a low G easily (and sometimes even F), but I prefer to really *BELT* out the notes I'm singing, so I sing pretty high with my band. Kinda like the range of that guy from New Found Glory just to give you an idea.

So what's your vocal range? Bass? Baritone? Tenor? Alto? Let's hear 'em!

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I consider myself horrible. I'd say I'm somewhere in the Type O Negative range -- not really a good thing when you're tryin' to sing "Hash Pipe."

3. i'm 100 % Tenor.. i've actually thought about taking opera-singing lessons few times..

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm a natural tenor, but I can sing baritone and alto passably.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I can cover croakin' frog to caterwaul...

...I should never be allowed near a microphone, for the safety of the general public... :D

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bass/baritone. As you might expect, I don't do many lead vocals. If only we did some Barry White ... "never gonna sing for you baby, but baby, ... baby, baby, baby, baby ..."

I do get to sing in Shania's "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under," where the guy sings the bass line once, then a counterpoint to it at the end. Oh well, I prefer to just groove anyway.

7. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm somewhere in the bass baritone range, though I can reach into tenor at times if needed. Its rather intresting to see the expressions on peoples face when a bass sings lead vocals, people get scared and say that I am evil incarnate! Then again I was the only true bass vocalist in my chorus class when I was in highschool.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my range is probably 4 or 5 notes, never took the time to figure it out.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    No idea - I just do backing vocals!!!! Our singer has a 4 ocatve rannge and is getting proper singin lessons. She keeps insisting that I get singing lessons to - she reckons it will help with my asthma as well as singing, 'cos it teaches you better ways to breath!!!

But hey, I'm a bassist - the singing lark is just what I do on the side!:D :D

10. i'm definetly a bass, and everybody tells me i should do more choral stuff - i was by far the best bass in the school choir.

i just sound too "english" to sing rock though.

11. I'm a second bass, which means that I'm the kind of bass that goes a bit high too. (Not baritenor). I can go from E (open E on a bass) to... the highest in a song was a C (5 on G on a bass) I think.

But with falsettos the sky's the limit. :D

12. Vocal range?...

No idea:eek:. But as I only do lead on a couple of numbers I tend to frighten an audience rather less than would otherwise be the case:cool:

I do backing and the occasional harmony.

John

13. Gard said...

I can cover croakin' frog to caterwaul...

I'm with Gard. My vocal range is about 200-203Hz.

14. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have a tenor range I believe! My range is slim & none:). I sing some back-ups and I can sing the heck outa Billy Gibbons parts in ZZ Top tunes, but that's about it.

15. Baritone/bass for me.

I can go from the low E on ledger line in bass cleff to high E two ledger lines above bass cleff. Falsetto carries on from there on up.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've heard that girls/women cannot sing falsetto. Does anyone know if this is true?

17. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    yes, jeff, this is true in one of my friend's cases. i don't know what's wrong with her.

i am a tenor, and damn proud of it.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, what range is a hoarse shout, a hollow boom, and a grunting growl in? :p

I dunno. Fairly low, I imagine.

19. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Second tenor, some baritone. Think Jeffrey Osborne (tone, not quality).

Peace,

James

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Mariah Carey definitely can!