Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's your worst GAS symptom?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Dec 15, 2000.

1. Ahhh, Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

I'm fascinated by how many other bassists are also addicted to the constant buying and selling of gear. So what do YOU do that really shows you've got a BAD case?

For me, it's that I'm finally happy with every bass I own (Warwick Thumb Bolt-on 5; custom 5-string Jazz with bubinga body, EMG's, and Modulus neck; amazing "parts" p-bass with '78 Fender neck, Bartolini p/u, flatwounds, custom cherryburst ash body, anodized pick guard), but am STILL thinking of selling or trading something JUST FOR THE SAKE OF TRADING. I've even A/B'ed each of these basses against others at Guitar Villa in Pennsylvania, and liked each bass BETTER than the store's basses.

Has anyone else ever traded away a bass they KNEW sounded great, just to have the temporary satisfaction of a new toy?

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Two things i have found to be universally true:

#1 Guitar players always say their sound sucks

#2 Bass Players never have enough power.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Major symptom of GAS: spending time on these boards!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'll second to that!!!

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I'll third to that!!! I think its this board, and bassgear.com ;)

DM

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Spending hours drooling over websites of equipment manufacturers.

7. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    My worst symptom sits beside me now!! An Fodera Emperor
    Elite 5. ........WOW.........
    Thats all I can say.
    Dan

[Edited by Bass7755 on 12-16-2000 at 09:27 PM]

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When I find my self mulling over what Picks I should get! And I rarely use picks. That's when I figure I've got a bad case of it. Usually cured by buying something (movie, game, BASS, whatever).

That and the CONSTANT drooling in BNW, and all the other websites devoted to bass Manufacturers. Homer on: Basses...Ahhhhh....: Homer Off

9. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Bassnw is about the best online bass store there is!
    My Golden (dog)...has to pee now.
    Gotta go...........
    Dan

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    "Wow, I didn't even know I needed a 12-string bass...."

That pretty much sums it up. It's neat. I don't have it. I want it.

I recently picked up a MIA 75 reissue Jazz bass. It sounded great. Now, I have dropped a bad ass II bridge on it, won a J Retro preamp for it on EBay, and have a clear pickguard on the way, too. This should make it perfect.

Of course, that hasn't stopped me from planning for my next bass that I will build with some parts from Warmoth, and the parts from the reissue that I have taken off...

Somebody please help me....

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I have the worst G.A.S. symptom.
    Every day.. (Several times in the same day) I check "MY -EBAY" Where I have selected 2 Categories.. (BASSES- AMPS) and check for "NEW TODAY" section, just to see what is for sale and If im interested. Of course I check the Ending Today too.
    I sometimes add some items to the "Watch List" and then check for how much it is selling.

I do this everyday, at the same time I check http://www.talkbass.com forums.
    Of course I check http://www.bassgear.com every weekend just to see what is for sale.

And also... I keep visiting the schmill's bass review Page.

Please tell me that my G.A.S. has a cure!

:D

12. I know what you all mean.
    I now have 12 basses, 5 guitars, 3 rig set-ups and I still can’t stop looking around shops, small ads and ebay for quality bargains.
    Do I need them all? No.
    Can I help myself? No.
    My girlfriend is a shrink. Can she help me? No.
    Do I want to be helped? No :D

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My worst symptom is buying new stuff but not selling off the old stuff (even though I don't use it) because I don't need the money.

The problem is that now I have too much stuff taking up space in the house.

14. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    What's my worst GAS symptom.

Usually shows up right after I eat baked beans -- I immediately run out and start buying new basses, amps, accessories....

Look, I'm sorry, but considering the title of this topic, somebody HAD to do it....

15. I have 3 basses, but they all cost me less than $350, and the last bass I got was half a year ago. I'm going to get another bass soon, maybe, but that's gonna be it for awhile....I think.