Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What'sa good bass to buy for a beginner/kid?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by turbod, Sep 5, 2002.

1. turbod

turbod

Aug 30, 2002
    Santa Clarita, CA
    What would be a good short scale bass guitar for a kid who wants to learn to play? This kid is about 11 or 12 years old.. Are the fender bass guitar/amp combo packages a good idea?

2. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    A short scale Fodera would be good....lol

Those combo's would probably work, they are not the best and the amp is not super usable, I think it would be almost better to get a slightly better bass and a headphone amp.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's about how old I was when I started playing, and how old my nephew was when he started, too. I outgrew my Sears short scale bass in about 3 months (though I have to admit I wish I still had it).

I would recommend a full long scale Essex for someone that age.

4. I'd vote the SX or Essex jazz bass from rondomusic.com and maybe a used amp

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    the fender music master is a good short scale bass to learn on. Was my 1st bass and very easy to play, inexpensive, constructed pretty well and didnt sound that bad either.

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    ...but seriously, a Beatle bass copy might work.

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah I would go with an essex jazz bass

or an Elrick piccalo ;)

8. turbod

turbod

Aug 30, 2002
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Wow, I'm thinking of getting one of those Essex Jazz basses myself. In that case, this might just be a good idea for the kid I'm trying to help. I will suggest it. For the price, you can't go wrong... Thanks to all... Oh, I will also consider the other suggestions just to cover all the "basses". :D