Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whay do the Skyline JO and Daryl Jones cost more than the 55-01/55-02?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It would seem to me that the 55-01 and 55-02 have a build quality comparable to the Skyline Joe Osborn and Daryl Jones models but they also have active electronics. Why are they less expensive than the passive Osborn and Jones models?

2. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    you pay for the name i guess

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    The 55-02 Standard retails for $1,599

The Skyline Darryl Jones retails for $1,499

The Skyline Joe Osborn retails for $1,350

Something wrong with your math there.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dude, i was going by the actual prices that I have seen these items selling for. So far, most dealers are selling the Daryl Jones for more than they are selling the 55-02 standard (not the Deluxe). And both the Daryl Jones 5 and JO5 cost more than the 55-01 by several hundred dollars in actual price and suggested retail.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I can't speak for any other dealers and can't post my prices but I will tell you that I sell the Darryl Jones and Joe Osborns for less than the 55-02 Standard.

The 55-01 is priced lower because it does not come with the USA electronics.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    So the Bartolinis on the 55-01 are Korean made? I know one can order the 55-01 with a different preamp and it will cost about $400 more or so. I don't care as long as it sounds good, I'm just curious. The JO and Daryl Jones cost more than the 55-01 because they have US pickups. Thanks for the info, Dude.

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yes, the pickups and pots in the 55-01 are MIK.

FWIW the upcharge for the USA Bart preamp is $300 "retail" and about $200 "street" not $400.