Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wheel Of Time Series

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DougP, Jun 12, 2005.

1. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    The Lord of The Rings thread made me think about this and i didnt want to derail the current conversation there.

Any else into this series? i am not a fan of fantasy type novels, i mainly stick to non-fiction, but once i read the first 10 chapters of the first book i had to finish. That was 5 years ago.

currently, i am on my third trip through the series and am about to start book 4...again. The 11th book is supposed to be out in October so i am re-reading to remember everything that happens.

i would love to see a movie version of this done in the same quality as the LOTR movies. i can also see the movie version being about 100 hours long or more to do it justice.

any other Jordan fans out there? i still havent read the prequel to the series yet. how does that book fare?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I read them at this point just because I've invested too much to not finish. I have to admit I'm getting a little impatient, and sort of want him to stop going off on what I consider random tangents and stick to the main branches of the story. OTOH, when I'm actually in the middle of reading one of the books I enjoy it well enough, so I will finish the series if he does.

3. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    I've read all that have been published so far. I've forgotten a lot, but don't want to reread it, because that would take forever. I guess I'll be looking for the Cliff's Notes of the first books when the next one comes out. :rollno:

4. Big Fan here, but havent kept up with the books since Winter's Heart. I need to buy the next one.

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I quit after the first five books. Too much meandering, too long-winded. However, I am a MASSIVE addict to WoTMUD. (http://wotmud.org)

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i agree that there are a bunch of side stories and repetitive details, but i consider it all part of the tapestry of the story. i like it despite the long windedness.

7. +1

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Anyone ever read the Recluse series by Modesit?

Those were pretty good, but I lost track of them after the 8th or 9th book.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I love both Jordan and Modesitt's work. I'd also recommend the Sword of Truth series, and anything by Melanie Rawn to those looking for more of what my mother (a librarian) calls "doorstop fiction" because the book is so huge you could use it as a doorstop.

I read pretty fast, and if left with a couple of hours to read I can finish a normal-sized fantasy book. I LOVE huge, detailed, long-winded epics, and when shopping for books I try to find series that are long.

I'm glad to hear that the 11th one will be out soon, now I have enough advanced warning to start with the prequel (I haven't read it either, yet) and end with the tenth one again. :hyper:

10. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    used to read him alla time...but he got too repetitive for me.
    now i'm doing the harry turtledove/turtelbaum plunge.

11. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Another one for Sword of Truth! :) although I havent been keeping up, I think I've missed the last 2.

David Eddings is good, easy to read fantasy, not heavy and a chore to read like LOTR can be. I've reread the Belgariad and Mallorean lots of times!

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Harry Turtledove ROCKS man!!!

Ahem...I mean Yes. I agree. I especially recommend Turtledoves' How Few Remain/Great War/American Empire series. I think he's writing book 8 right now.

13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Um . . . so . . . here's a plug for WoTMUD!!!

We always need new people around to teach and to add to the player base.

So check out wotmud.org and read through some newbie guides, then click on "Play Via Browser." Even though the Seanchan race has an "Experienced Players Only" tag, it's totally outdated. Seanchan is the most newbie-friendly race. If you see me on Sirak, Oleg, or Piotyr, don't hesitate to send me a tell (unless I'm doing my clanning quest. Gonna be morat'torm!)

14. I read the first five. I thought the fifth sucked hard, but I dug the hell out of the first four.

I'm sorta' Like Perrin w/ the wolves, except instead of wolves, I have a strong connection to the diseased monkeys that escaped from the primate center. :D

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i dig em too, he's got a great head for organization, keeping 3 or 4 simultaneous relevant and independant plot lines going well.

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    He went to the Citadel I hear.

17. My favorite sentance from this series is the one that's something like, 'Rand needed some crack.' I think it's in book 6, which I didn't read.

18. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    The Wheel wills as the Wheel weaves?
    or is it the other way around?

ok, i need to stop reading now. :)