Wheels on the Stack!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stompfrog, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Hello all,

I have just bought my second cab and am loving every minute of it.

all warwick stack:
    quad VI head --> w211-pro --> w115-pro

It looks awesome and sounds even better but it is really ****ing heavy!!

What would be the advice surrounding wheels on the bottom?? I once heard that bass amps need the floor to project their sound properly, is this true? Will putting it on wheels lose some of the bass?

If anyone has experience in this, I'd love to know what they have got to say.

Many thanks

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I put these

on my Bag End S15-CUS and my Eden D210XLT.

Because the cabs are still so close to the floor (within a couple of inches) they still couple with the floor. You would have to go much higher to not couple.

Some people purposefully raise their cabs high enough to not couple. That way they get the true sound of their cab. Most of us like coupling.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I like coupling. Especially with the modular cabs, wheels aren't really necessary. I'd think about wheels on an SVT 8x10, or an Acoustic 301, any "refrigerator" cab like that, but on a modular cab I'd much rather have the coupling to the floor. The one downside to consider, is that some stages have a "resonance", that wheels will sometimes alleviate. It depends on where you intend to play most of your gigs. If you're doing a lot of outdoor work, I'd say definitely nix the wheels. If you're doing a lot of club work, with marginal or unknown stages, wheels may work to your advantage. In the latter situation, what I sometimes do is reverse the high and low end, in other words, put the 15 on top. That'll "uncouple" the low end from the nasty stage resonance.
  4. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    Try installing a set of pop-out casters. Ernie Ball sells a very sturdy design that are very affordable & easy to install. This way you can choose to keep them in for isolation or pop them out for stage coupling. The best of both worlds! :hyper:
  5. If you're concerned about stage coupling the pop-out EB casters mentioned above are a great suggestion. If weight is your main concern a lightweight folding hand cart solves the problem nicely... there are a few threads on this already (search on "carts").

6. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
  7. I prefer to use a handtruck to move my cabs. It just seems easier this way.
  8. Or mount the wheels on the side of the cab.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I leave the wheels in my 115 all the time, and roll the cab onto it's side if I need the coupling effect.