Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wheels

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Rob Sleeper, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Hey everyone,
    How do you guys like using wheels as a method of transportation? It could deftantly make my life a little easier, but is it good for the bass in general?
    Thanks,
    Rob

2. I've been using one on my basses for years, no problems at all. If I had a really fragile old bass I might not use one so much, but I figure that if something does get damaged I'll just have it fixed... The convenience of a wheel is worth it to me especially as my bass is pretty large and heavy. One tip though; don't buy the el-cheapo wheel that some shops make themselves and claim is the same as a brand name, more expensive one. They're not, and the more expensive one is much easier to live with and will last much longer.

3. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Uptonbass.com has a wheel for sale. What do you think about their wheel?
    Thanks
    Rob

4. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey man,

a pneumatic (sp?) wheel will provide additional shock absorbsion over the solid varieties.

if you do a search on gaines on the forums, i am sure you will find a plethora of other opinions.

i recently got a gaines wheel and it rocks (back and forth, HA!).

.... and i got mine from (All Hail) Bob.

<plugtime>

http://www.urbbob.com/gaineswheel.html

</plugtime>

check it out!

simon

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Does it come in a snow tread? :meh: Here in the northeast we have to deal with the winter weather.

6. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    The Gaines wheel is great. It's hard for me to imagine NOT having a wheel for my bass--I mean, I don't use mine for small distances or from-the-car-to-the-stagedoor type trips (which in Indiana means I don't use it much), but in urban areas I use it all the time.
    Snow and water are a bit of a drag with endpin-replacing wheels (which means all wheels except for the Kolstein stroller, which has it's own problems and which I only used for about a year before dumping it for the Gaines), but if you zip your bag up nice and tight at the bottom and wipe off any water that may have gotten through when you get where you're going it's no big deal. (I imagine anyone with a priceless 300-year-old Italian bass isn't slogging through the snow, anyway, so...)
    An old teacher of mine (John Lockwood--you may know him, Freddels, he's in Boston) once said "Don't use a wheel! Running to catch trains in Europe with your bass over your shoulder and your amp in your hand is good for strengthening your back!" I have found this to be wretched advice; wheels are good.

7. Find an old golf cart at a garage sale and modify it to hold the bass (In the Bag). I use bungy cords to hold the bass on. You can take long walk at night with your bass and not get tired..... LOL

8. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I think I'll take a pass on the golf cart lol. Thanks so I'll get a gaines.
    Rob

9. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    I bought a golf cart at a local flea market for $7 and the wheels are spring loaded. When I do use it, the bass is transported very safely and smoothly, actually better than any bass wheel you can find.

10. BenWC87

BenWC87

Jun 10, 2004
    I've heard lots of horror stories involving damage through the block of the instrument caused by a standard endpin wheel hitting a crack in the sidewalk or something. This wheel http://www.kcstrings.com/bass-buggie.html is awesome because it gets rid of that problem.

11. I would really, really like to hear of a first hand experience where a wheel caused any kind of serious damage to a bass. All these guys predict sure disaster, but I don't know anyone who's ever had a problem. And even if it did happen, what's the worst case scenario? A cracked block and maybe a little damage to the ribs? Big deal, I can live with that if it saves my back over a lifetime of lugging big, heavy basses around from gig to gig! :rolleyes:

12. Among bluegrass fans, the cart made by Jerry Fretwell at www.fretwellbass.com is pretty popular. I've seen them at a few bluegrass festivals.

13. BenWC87

BenWC87

Jun 10, 2004
    I have a friend at Jiulliard who had some serious damage to his bass while walking to a gig. Now tell me THAT wouldn't suck!

14. Go for the Gaines wheel. It's great, I roll my bass all over NYC with it and couldn't live without it. My teacher rolls his 150 year old bass with it. Of course common sense plays an important roll in this, don't try to jump any curbs with it and you'll be fine.

15. I play bluegrass and with that we wonder around all night jamming. I modified a Bag Boy golf cart and it will roll in grass with just one finger to push it. Just bungy it on and away I go. Best thing I ever made to transport the bass.

16. Tanglehead

Tanglehead

Nov 27, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    I've never used one myself, but I'm planning to soon.

As a point of reference my current and past teachers both use pneumatic wheels and their main basses are a 1715 Klotz and an 18th c. English Bass, respetively. Their confidence in the safety of using a wheel with these instruments is a good enough testimonial for me.

After I get mine, I'll be happy to sumit my own first hand experiences....

Brian Casey
    aka Tanglehead
    Portland, OR

17. Basicbassist

Basicbassist

Feb 9, 2007
    New Jersey
    I find wheeling the DB a necessity at times, but rather than use an end-pin wheel, I've found a collapsable cart like the Remin Super 600 (http://www.adorama.com/RES600.html?searchinfo=Remin&item_no=6) to be more practical than the end-pin wheel. The bass can be lashed easily to the cart via the cart's attached bungee-cords, and the cart stands upright very securely with the bass lashed in, leaving both hands free to handle gear, open and close car doors, etc. With an end-pin wheel, you always have to be holding the bass. Perhaps, it's an academic point, but when I pull the cart w/bass, the bass rides at a low angle, which reduces potential sound-post movement relative to the nearly upright position that the bass-wheel necessitates. Also, pulling the cart, rather than pushing it, greatly reduces any "road-shock" that might be generated by bumpy sidewalks, etc. With an end-pin wheel, you are always pushing the instrument. If you hit an obstacle or a pot hole while pushing (with cart or end-pin wheel), you are ramming the bass into it. Ugh. Not good

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm in my second year of using a gaines wheel. It's been on the CTA Trains, Busses, and around this city [Chicago]. No problems in rain or snow either.

19. Slapfiddle

Slapfiddle Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2004
    New York City
    K.C. Strings has created the Bass Buggie. This thing is very hip in that it is easily attached to the outside of the bag without removing the endpin. It contains two very high quality wheels and installs literally in 5 seconds. Part of the buggie goes around the endpin, the wheels rest over the bag and then the elastic band stretches around the neck. Check it out at kcstrings.com/bass. They are only $110. This is the answer to all bass wheel problems. And there is no stress on the endpin or block.

20. Slapfiddle

Slapfiddle Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2004
    New York City
    Almost forgot the coolest part. The bass stands up freely with the buggie attached.