Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wheels

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by JAS, Sep 8, 2003.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Does any one know if any one makes a wheel that fits over the endpin? Not the Kolstein "Bass Stroller." I tried one of those and I almost killed my self and my bass.

2. I've only seen the ones which are on a shaft which replaces the endpin (for the duration). I have a couple, and prefer the one with the tyre which can be inflated. The other has a solid tyre, and doesn't seem to absorb the bumps as well as the one with the pneumatic tyre.

Hope this helps -

- Wil

PS: When removing the endpin, take care* not to let the small metal plate (if there is one) at the end of the endpin locking-screw, fall into the bass...

*by laying the bass on its side so that the endpin screw is pointing down...

3. If I might throw in my experience with wheels... If you go for the shaft type, spend the extra $$$ and get the Onyx brand instead of the generic one. It seems like a lot of money for not much difference, but the quality is much better on the Onyx and if you want to use it for more than a year or two you'll be much happier.

4. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Well, the reason I am asking about a wheel that will fit over my endpin is because it is going to take a lot of work and cash to get my bass set up so that I can just take out my endpin and put in the wheel. Who ever had my bass before I did, according to my luthier in Chicago, super glued the base of the end pin into the bass and my endpin is one of those that do not come out all the way. So he would have to do some expensive opperating to get it set up for a regular wheel setup. So there is nothing that can somehow clamp over the endpin?

5. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Well, the reason I am asking about a wheel that will fit over my endpin is because it is going to take a lot of work and cash to get my bass set up so that I can just take out my endpin and put in the wheel. Who ever had my bass before I did, according to my luthier in Chicago, super glued the base of the end pin into the bass and my endpin is one of those that do not come out all the way. So he would have to do some expensive opperating to get it set up for a regular wheel setup. So there is nothing that can somehow clamp over the endpin?

6. I had a Chinese plywood, the endpin was crimped on the inner end so it couldn't come out. What I did was push the endpin all the way IN, then fished it out through the f hole. Then I cut the crimped end off with a hacksaw.
    Goodluck,
    Mike

7. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Although I can't offer you a wheel solution, I can offer this:

I've "unglued" endpin collars (that's the wood part of the endpin) by hammering away on a long, notched, thick dowel that is stuck inside through the ff hole. It's not a pretty business, but it can be done with care, provided another person holds the end of the bass. This is all done when the bass is horizontal on the bench.

I'm sure your luthier is smart (is it Mark Sonksen, by chance?), but I just wanted to post this suggestion. It's less work than cutting the collar off and reaming out the ebony/rosewood/maple collar. That's a real drag...

8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Just getting creative, I guess you could try to find a piece of pipe or other strong metal shaft that is hollowed out with an inside diameter to match your endpin. Tap two holes for thumb screws to hold the wheel shaft on one end and the endpin in the other. Finding a properly sized hollow shaft could be the challenge.

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Failing anything else, I bought an Upton Bass bag with wheels attached not too long ago. I really didn't expect that the wheels would be too useful, but they've been great so far for smoother surfaces like indoor floors and good sidewalks or asphalt. I don't think the bag's padding is allowing very much transfer of vibration.

10. Where would one find any of the afore mentioned wheels?

11. I've purchased wheels from both Lemur music and Hammond Ashley in Seattle.

12. dthibodeau

dthibodeau

Sep 11, 2003
    JAS, I have a set of wheels called Bassic Transportation that use a loop over the end pin and the wheels rest against the lower bout of the bass. It then uses a strap around the rest of the bass to hold the wheels on. You just tip the bass over on to the wheels and roll. These came with the my bass when I purchased it. I can try to contact the former owner about where to purchase if you are interested.

13. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I would deffinately be interested. It does sound similar though to the Kolstein "bass stroller" which is attached by velcro to the case. Is this wheel that you have very practical for everyday use walking down the street or wherever with? The "bass stroller" almost killed my bass a few times because I had to bend the bass down so low to use it and it kept falling off.

14. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    NEVER use any wheel or wheel system that puts the weight of the bass on its rib (side). The wood there is only 2-3mm thick (about 1/10")! It doesn't matter how much padding there is--you're going to hurt the instrument. A wheel in the endpin receptacle, on the other hand, is attached to one of the strongest places on the bass. However, it makes sense to use only a pneumatic wheel, for shock absorbtion.

15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Okay...you guys want wheels? Here you go...

Kart Unloaded
    Kart Loaded
    Kart Folded For Travel

I can hear the gasps of horror now :D

Less than $20 invested ($10 kart off ebay, the remainder for PVC cup for endpin, nylon web strap, and vinyl tubing to cover metal contact areas). It has shock-absorbers of sorts, since the wheels are spring-loaded. All-aluminum, so it's very light-weight.

Works great for rolling from jam to jam at the campgrounds, or for long hauls at gigs.