When 4 ohms + 4 ohms= 8 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, May 30, 2002.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  2. we knew that :)

parallel = less resistance coz : 1/total = (1/cab1) + (1/cab2)
    serial = more resistance coz : total = cab1 + cab2
  3. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
  4. Yes this is correct. If you link cabs, resistors, loads whatever you want to call them, then the formula for resistance you use is:-

Rt = R1+R2+R3+R4 +.........+Rn

Where Rt is the total resistance
    Rn is the last load (number n, that you add)

If you link them in parallel, the formula you use is:-

1/Rt = 1/R1+1/R2+1/R3+.......+1/Rn

One is conservation of energy, one is conservation of charge. I could prove this from first principles many years ago, but trust me on this one!
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I truly doubt that everyone knew that. :D
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I never knew of anyone hooking up in series though. Is daisy-chaining considered paralel?

Usually, I run stereo.
    If I hook my top 210 into the mono out with a banana clip cable into the 1/4" into the speaker, then another banana clip out to the 115's 1/4" in, is this a parallel?
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Daisy-chaining is almost always parallel IME, the reason being that the second jack on cab 1 is connected directly to the first jack. So the signal going into the input of cab 1 doesn't go through cab 1's speakers and then into cab 2 (which would be series): it "splits off" at the input of cab 1 and goes to cab 1's speakers and cab 2's more or less simultaneously (parallel).

8. I am unaware of anyone that does. I don't think it would work well in the bass environment! That's why everybody usues parallel wiring!
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Actually, *within* cabinets, at least in the form of series-parallel wiring, it's quite common. That's how you put together four 8 ohm 10s and get an 8 ohm cab--good old series-parallel.

But you're right, I don't know of anybody who links discrete *cabs* in series, and most dual speaker outputs on amps are in parallel.
  10. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I think Eden has this in there speaker manual because you can't run their heads at 4 ohms bridged. So if you have an Eden head and want the option of running bi-amp or bridge, you buy two 4 ohm cabs for bi-amp mode or hook them up in series for bridge mode. Does that sound logical or am I missing something?

11. Yes two arms of speakers linked in series - then wired as parallel. Bingo - a parallel circuit! The system isn't clever enough to know that the load in each arm is actually made up of two in series! Therefore, the cab is effectively wired in parallel.

Ever thought they might use 16 ohm speakers - totally in parallel????:)
  12. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Aren't you taught things like this in school? I was.

Though I have to admit I always tend to mix up series and parallell... :D
  13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, of course--but that would give you a 4 ohm cab. Not unusual, naturally, but my comment specifically had to do with 8 ohm cabs, and more specifically, how you get an 8 ohm cab with four 8 ohm drivers, which is quite common.

14. OK, fair point!:)
  15. jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Really it all comes down to what your specs are. You wire your cabs to meet your specs. Even though parallel IS more common on a brand name dual jack cabs, if series gets you the ohms you want then you set it up in series. Large quanity cab systems (PA's) can get quite complicated. Ever see the DEAD's "WALL OF SOUND"? Now there was an OHM matching NIGHTMARE...lol

16. I have meesed with this sort of thing in a pa system. it lets you run almost an infinite number of speaker cabinets under one amp. If might help if you goal is 10 4 by 10's on one amp