1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When a Band Member leaves the Stage to Start a Fight!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 51PRI, Dec 4, 2019.

1. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    So we were gigging the other night and I heard the bass drop out and then a big crash as the bass guitar was dropped/slammed to the floor. I looked in the bass guitar direction and saw our bass player (in the band that I play guitar in) heading into the audience to confront a guy who was talking to his girl. Luckily an actual fight did not break out but it was dicey there for a couple of minutes.
    To me this was the ultimate in unprofessionalism, and is something that I have never encountered.

How should the band handle this?

2. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    bye-bye

In light of this new information, he can stay.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    Retired
    Why did he bring his girlfriend to work with him?

4. They are popping up everywhere now, Kiddults.

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

When my brother got married, he had a big reception in a park. His band played and something similar happened with his bassplayer. I think he was fighting with his ex wife. I wound up sitting in for the first set, but I was just a young punk and didn't really know anything but Eagles tunes and the blues. I had a blast though. My brother finally talked the bass player into coming up and getting the job done. He had a black eye :rollno:.

6. Interesting subject. I have the very good fortune to have been married 39 years now to a still very attractive woman who loves to dance. All of the years I've played in bands I've watched literally hundreds of guys hit on her, ask her to dance etc. She had always been straight up front with everyone of them - I'm married, I'm with the bass player, no I don't want a drink etc etc, but sure I'll dance with you. My point - if you're the jealous type or if you have doubts about your significant other either leave them at home or find someone you can trust completely. The few instances where some jerk got pushy or overstepped, one or more of our friends (interestingly her girl friends at least as often as our male friends) stepped in. If you don't have complete trust, be it in a love relationship, a band, business relationships etc) you don't really have a relationship. Works both ways.

RSBBass, Rich Fiscus, Mr_Moo and 70 others like this.
  7. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    It sounds like you’re bass player is rocking a short scale.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

yep, kid stuff.

9. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I agree, but I don't think they just started popping up. I think they have been around for quite a while.

10. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    simalex, Spidey2112, ak56 and 11 others like this.
  11. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Wow :wideyed:

#1 - dude is obviously a hot head who's not acting profesh at all

#2 - dude is insecure and has anger issues.

I think you can even ignore #1 if you looked out and saw your girl getting octopus'd on (as in her pushing somebody away who's making physical contact), but for somebody ust talkin to her? Nah ah :rollno: Also says he doesn't have much confidence in her ability to handle a really small situation like that.

A-hole move if your recounting of events is factual. (A-hole and a big D if it wasn't his bass!)

Mr_Moo, Jimmy4string and mcnach like this.
  12. That would be a once done and now bye-bye if it happens again situation.

simalex likes this.
  13. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    ;)Some guys have Fredo-wives.

14. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I saw Ritchie Blackmore (during the Rainbow years) get hit with a Frisbee, then he dropped his guitar and went into the crowd. :mad:

15. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    1. Ask him to ask his girlfriend to sit closer to the stage?
    2. Confiscate his cables and make him buy a wireless?
    Joking aside....I wouldn't be happy about this sort of thing in any band I were in. Hope yours was a dive bar gig where nobody cared.

thetragichero likes this.
  16. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Unless he was trying to cop a feel, it seems a little much. My wife comes out occasionally to gigs, and if someone was talking to her, and acting inappropriate, well, she would quickly make him regret that. She's not a delicate flower, even though she is tiny. Her nails are very sharp and her voice can be very loud. No damsel in distress lol.

Mr_Moo, red_rhino, EdO. and 3 others like this.
  17. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    RSBBass, 12BitSlab, higain617 and 7 others like this.
  18. I think you should talk to him about this, and that conversation should determine his fate. I won't speculate on what was going through his head or what type of person he is. Speaking for myself, there are circumstances where I would leave the stage to deal with a personal issue but someone talking to my wife or GF wouldn't be one of them unless she needed me to.

19. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    As long as it was his bass that was plopped down and not yours or someone else's, then I wouldn't worry about it too much, if he's otherwise a good and dependable player. Bar stuff happens.

five7 and Skillet like this.