1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When a fret still buzzes ..after you've tried everything.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jedw, Oct 31, 2010.

1. jedw

jedw

Jun 5, 2010
    Preston Uk
    So I have a Squier VM Jazz bass which has been annoying me for a long while now, mostly because the 5th fret buzzes (against the 6th).

I have adjusted the set-up a billion times, it is perfect but for the 5th fret. I'm not about to start sanding it down because .. well I'd wreck it for sure.

I have never been impressed with this bass it was many flaws in the finish on the neck, but that aside it WOULD play great were it not for the damn buzzing 5th fret.

I got so tired of it I even put sticky tape under the strings to silence the damn thing.

I think this bass is destined to sit in its case and not get played. :confused:

2. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    umm if its ONLY that fret... then maybe you need to redress your frets...

I mean its a squier..bad frets are pretty much the main things Ive in squiers..

3. jedw

jedw

Jun 5, 2010
    Preston Uk
    I should point out, it was like this new, its only 10 months old ish.

These things get so much praise, I seem to be missing out :rollno:

Redressing the frets sounds expensive, for an el-cheapo bass.

4. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    the 6th fret probably needs to be leveled

5. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    doesnt matter how old... cheaper basses usually ahve bad frets because they cut corners.

one thing to consider when buying cheap basses is things like fret dressing, pick up upgrading and mods add on to the price... so its give and take.

fret dressing should run about $75 bucks

6. That's odd. I've never sen two frets buzz against each other...because they're separated by more than an inch of fretboard. Maybe the OP removed them and put them in his pocket? They could buzz against each other there....

Nit-picking aside, have the frets leveled. It doesn't matter if the bass is new or old, many basses need this and it's not expensive. Don't complain about how new your bass is - get it serviced.

7. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Get it Plek'd

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Could be the 6th fret has popped and needs to be reseated.

9. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    "Nit-picking aside, have the frets leveled. It doesn't matter if the bass is new or old, many basses need this and it's not expensive. Don't complain about how new your bass is - get it serviced."

Do like the man said...but if I were you, I wouldn't throw much money at this bass.

I've never been impressed with Asian Squier instruments, particularly unimpressed with the necks. It seems that many players like to "upgrade" them--to the delight of those who sell hardware, pickups, etc.--but there's only so much turdpolishing one can do.

10. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL

Wow... somebody comes to a bass guitar forum for advice on a bass guitar and you decide that professional grade douchery is just what the doctor ordered.

11. Hmmm..so a gentle tweak about a poorly worded (to the point of being logically impossible) complaint is "professional grade douchery"? Even when I followed with specific, appropriate suggestion on how to remedy the problem?

It's interesting that name-calling in response to my post was evidently helpful and appropriate.

12. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I've done fret work on many cheap basses & they turn out playing better than brand new ones that cost 10 times as much. Get the frets gently leveled (ALL OF THEM), re-crowned/ have the ends dressed, a fine polishing & a good setup from there. Bingo! You're in business.

13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Have a tech spot level the 6th fret. Should cost you $20.

14. jedw

jedw

Jun 5, 2010
    Preston Uk
    :D what are you my highschool english teacher!

The odd thing is, my first ever "learner" bass was a Cheaper Squier P (affinity) the affinity had a better neck than the VM. D'oh:eyebrow:
    Last time I buy anything cheap (online) without playing it first.

15. Two points:

1) You haven't tried everything, just the rudimentary things. Most factory manufactured basses, regardless of price point, benefit significantly from fret leveling. Get it done.

2) Is it logical to pay $75 for a fret leveling on a $1200 bass but somehow illogical to pay it on a $300 bass? Honestly all it does is improve the playability of a bass and help make it worth what you paid for it. It's what makes my $90 basses play like professional level instruments. Just get it done by a good tech/luthier. You may find new respect for your Squier and may actually become quite attached to it.