1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

when a gig goes wrong

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by rollie 55, Nov 11, 2018.

1. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    i suppose from time to time we might have the odd bad gig. i remember a few years ago we had a gig lined up we where the supporting act there was me bass the singer and a drummer we had 2 guitar players one said he had never played live before but would like to try fair enough. the lead guitarist said he had done this gig and that gig so we got ready for the gig everything was fine we got up on stage on the night the lights came up drums bass volcals no guitars both had stage fright what a nightmare. but we just carried on playing with no guitars it was strange. the upshot was we where asked to play the follow up gig. well thats another story it can only get worse

2. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    it was a 400 seat venue and it was full

Mr_Moo, joesnewmatch and S-Bigbottom like this.
  3. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    both guitarists debuting in Front of 400 people? wow. Need to do a couple of less pressure gigs to let them get some confidence.

Mr_Moo, loopee and rollie 55 like this.
  4. They scared each other witless.

5. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Wow, that’s pretty weird.

I once showed up to a last minute fill in gig to find that I was the vocalist. I sing backup (at best). Enough alcohol and it worked out (the audience was drunk)..

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Were these two your guitarists?

images(15).

srxplayer, G-Z, btmpancake and 8 others like this.
  7. Moral of the story...we don't need a guitarist!

loopee and rollie 55 like this.
  8. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    yea the lead player had done this gig and that gig or so he said. and we where only the support act.

9. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    It's 11:47pm here, LOL'ed so hard I was sent to sleep on the couch. Totally worth it :laugh::laugh:

Mr_Moo, rollie 55 and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. Maybe it wasn’t stage fright. Maybe it was fear of run-on sentences.

11. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Our first gig out side of house party's as a teenager was at a County Fair. All was good until it came our turn to play we were so frightened that none of us couls sing. So we just played the songs with out vocals. Then ate Mescaline (my first psychedelic experience) and got a ride home from my mom.

Fast forward to four years ago and I joined a band that was ready to go but lost their bass player. We practiced hard and played a few private parties but our guitarist got terrible stage fright at our first bar gig and that was it.

12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Sweet dreams, my friend...

Alik likes this.
  13. I get stage fright everytime I play. But like I tell everybody, it's only scary til you screw up in the first three notes of the first song. Then you realize that nobody cares anyway, and you start having fun. Once your playing, it's just like there's no one watching you. It's just your band. Exactly like it was in practice. Only, there's a few more people on the couch, and you sound a lot better. That's me though. Some people just can't get past it enough to try I guess.

Mr_Moo and oldrocker like this.
  14. It's a lesson everyone needs to experience at least once. Teaches you the importance of being prepared "before" you get on stage. I was pretty "loose" one night borderline "invincible". A friend of mine was in the house band at a decent size club, we had been jamming around with some SRV stuff in our spare time and he called me up on stage, being in a certain state of mind of course I went. Half way into the second verse I looked out and saw the full house and froze... And stayed frozen... Let's just say we never let that happen again. That was probably 25 years ago but it's etched in my brain. Audiences deserve a decent showing.

Mr_Moo and Garret Graves like this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

gotta' love moms!

16. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Ever since getting up in front of people for my first elementary school play in third grade I've loved being on stage. Couldn't get enough of it. Still can't. Be it in a stage play or a band I've never had stage fright once. :)

My daughter, on the other hand, has a beautiful voice (I paid plenty for her voice lessons) but she has terrible stage fright. Won't even sit in with us for one song in front of ten people at a bar gig. :(

Mr_Moo, dbase and Kevin1960 like this.
  17. Brings back memories of being a Christmas tree with 3 others in my first on stage experience in 2nd grade. Man, that was a long time ago. I hope your daughter can work out her issues because it can be a lot of fun playing music with others on stage.

McG likes this.
  18. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    For me, 10 people is a lot tougher than 1,000. Feels very personal with a small crowd; I can disconnect a bit with a larger audience.

rollie 55 and McG like this.
  19. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    Most of my bad gigs were gear related. Broke a string on the 1st song. Amp dies. In ears go out and I gotta sing. Digital board goes black and wipes out all settings halfway through a set. All buzz kills. I used to get nervous. But whenever I do now I remember I’m the bassist in a rock band and I’m good to go. ;):thumbsup:

Mr_Moo and rollie 55 like this.
  20. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    i agree with this as well. give me a big crowd over 10 any day