when adjusting the truss rod.....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tracker_br, Dec 14, 2003.

1. ..should I loosen the strings?
    I did some adjustings on my Ibanez with strings in tune months ago. But now I must do this again and read on the internet that doing that with tension on strings can be dangerous.!
    Can somebody please help me?

thanks .
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I've never heard of loosening the strings being necessary to make an adjustment. That doesn't mean it isn't true, though- I'm sure somebody has a definitive answer. ;)
  3. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    When loosening the TR (adding relief)I find that it works better to leave the strings at full tension. When tightening (straightening the neck), I recommend loosening the strings to take some of the pressure off the TR nut threads.

Hope this answers your question.

Harrell S.
  4. tanks very much.
    I'll try to apply pressure on the neck so I can straighten the neck without forcing the rod too much.
  5. This is my method...

1. Either loosen the strings completely or do this right before putting on your strings.

2. Loosen the truss rod completely.

3. Tighten the truss rod as tight as you can, making the neck straight.

4. put on your strings or re-tighten the strings to put it in tune.

5. In most cases, your action will be unbelievably low, buzzing and all, so gradually (1/4th turn at a time), loosen the neck until you get the desired action.