When an audience member tells you to turn down..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, May 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    do you do it?

some woman tried telling me that last night, no idea who she was and she had no affiliation with any of the band members.

At first I had no idea who she was so did in fact turn down, as I was filling in for someone and wanted to be sure Id get asked back, but than the BL told me to turn back up..

mpdd likes this.
  2. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    BL rules. Officious passers-by can either tip or not tip, not run the board/mix.

soulman969 likes this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    When I set up at gigs, I speak with the manager, and tell them that if we are too loud, to let us know immediately, just to give me a signal. Him/her I listen to.

4. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I generally just put my hand on one of my amps controls and fake it, then tell ‘em “thanks”! Works every time.

soulman969 and FilterFunk like this.
  5. I'd have told her to go home. Then probably been scolded by our frontman.

6. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    EVERYONE has an opinion about how you sound and they are often informed by things that aren't really important to the mix, like the fact that they were sitting in a cavernous area all the way in the back room where the sound is never good. Listen to the people who have ears you respect or the people who are paying you.

soulman969 and G-Dog like this.
  7. What always cracks me up is the folks that sit at the table three feet in front of the PA and then sit there with this "I smell ish" look on their face and cant hear and get mad at you because they cant have a conversation at a "normal speaking level"

Morons...

BnB

8. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    No.

9. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

This...in this case

10. juancaminos

We played at a great out door venue surrounded by orchards years ago. But there was a lady who lived on the other side of the East orchard who called the police constantly. There was a bandstand that faced West with bathrooms behind it. The venue did everything they could to make this woman happy. We usually did't get asked to turn down much especially out side. At this gig we did as the evening wore on. I asked the BL of another band that played there a lot what he did becasue they were typically louder than us. He said that he showed the venue manager a slider on the mixing board and told his that when ever he felt the band was too lound all he had to do was to move the slider down but to be very carefull to only move the slider 1/4 of the way between the numbers at a time. So when ever the band saw the manger come up to the board to pull the slider down they would play a slight bit lighter for a song or two. Of course the slider was not connected to anything.

Qlanq likes this.
  11. juancaminos

We did sound for another band a few times, they were very good but at this one particular bar they were very loud. It was a huge place with a big stage so it seemed that loud would be good. We ran everything thru the board but the band was so loud that we were only driving the vocals via the board. The bar owner, who was a musician himself, came by to complain to us that we were driving people outside with the volume. We said no it's the band, he said then turn them down, we said that we couldn't. The owner pointed to the main L/R sliders and said "I know what the @%*# I'm talking about turn those down now or I'll take over". Dan pulled them all the way to zero and said "ya mean like that"..nothing changed because the band was so darn loud. The owner ran directly to the BL and asked them to turn the &%$# down. When the gig was over the owner gave us a free drink and thanked us for knowing enough to just drive the vocals when the band was out of control volume wise. We did a few other sound gigs with this band who were over the top good but hard to deal with. The BL constantly went thru players, all top notch but all hard core ego maniacs. We eventually bowed out.

soulman969 likes this.
  12. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I just tell them the BL has the volume control. Sorry, I'm just the bass player.

Wisebass likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No. Never. I have run sound a lot as well as playing bass. The audience doesn't decide the volume.

Whomever is paying the band decides the volume unless there are laws in place that trump the desires of the guy with the checkbook.

Wisebass likes this.
  14. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Occasionally members of the audience know what they are talking about. With as many threads that have posts bashing sound men, I thought there might be some agreement.

I have been to shows that have horrendous mixes. I will usually talk to the "steamroller" during break and let them know. Sometimes they make an adjustment, other times they continue to make the band sound like ass. YMMV

15. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    One question I have is was she talking about only the bass being too loud or the band in general?

One thing I learned in a club where we appeared about once a month is it wasn't my volume but rather my stage EQ. Certain frequencies seemed to penetrate right to where the bar was located even though everything was fine elsewhere. Even volume. I just tweaked my settings rolling off some lows at different frequencies 'til we found the problem zone and that did it. Rooms can have "hot spots" where for whatever reason the bass just seems oppressive in the mix.

Of course in this case it was the bar manager I was working to please not someone in the crowd where I'd probably fake making and adjustment 'til we got on break and then investigate with one of the other band members or sound tech.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  16. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    :(

:(

graphics-yo-yo-588543.gif

A gig is not a YoYo contest!!! :D

greetings

Wise(b)ass

17. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Most weekend warrior bands play too loud for the room. I use a SPL meter to determine overall volume on the dance floor and at the bar.

18. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ Not entirely off the subject but...When I do front of house, I always have a SPL meter. If the cops walk in on a noise complaint it does two thing-
    The police officer has an SPL meter in his car, in the trunk, under all his other crap. By the time he finds it, he'll be in a bad mood.
    He will stand three feet in front of the p.a. and find you in violation. If you have yours at the board to show him, he'll see a reading from 70-100 feet away- plenty legal.

Total irony- The D.J. is always WAY louder than the band. D.J.'s drive me right out of the room.

Giffro and buldog5151bass like this.
  19. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Once at an outdoor party some guy who was a friend of the host told us he was worried about the police coming because of the volume. He said "we want you to keep playing but stop using the microphone". :bored:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021