Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

when and how you messure the output of pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dooft11, Jul 29, 2005.

1. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    I learn from a local repair guy that he will use a Multimeter to measure the output of the pickup everytime when he set the pup height.. is that the correct way to do? how exactly this should go and any more simple solution?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've never heard of such a thing. Obviously the closer to the strings a pup is the louder the pup would be at the same volume setting. But among other things a pup can be too close so that it distorts and the output useless, too far away so they're too thin, or the E way to pronounced while the G is too weak. I know of no way an ohmmeter can tell you those things exist but your ears will and are all that is necessary to determine proper pup height.

To my knowledge DC resistance basically is only of use for comparing a pup to stock specs to see if it's within bounds. It will give a relative idea of output but that's nothing of significance unless you're short on amp. It gives some idea of tone you can expect but it's nothing to rely on in that sense.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    He didn't say an ohm meter... he said a multimeter. You could use that and see if the output is equal string-to-string, to make sure that each one will get similar volume. My tech guy does this, I've watched him do it. It's actually pretty amazing how much of a difference a 1/4 turn will make on a pickup. Pretty neato trick, and the next time I go there, I'm going to ask him what settings to use (we have the same multimeters), that way I can post it.

-Ray

4. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Absolutely great, Ray, long for your further investigation result

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, my next setup isn't for another 3 weeks (just before I leave for college), so I think I'll just call him tomorrow after work and see if he can explain it well over the phone. Look for an update tomorrow :).

-Ray

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I use ohmmeter/multimeter/multi-tester interchangeably - I don't know that they even make them seperate for ohms, DC volts, AC volts, etc.

But I'd be interested to hear what gives cause I don't recall hearing anybody do anything with a meter string to string.