Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When are you a cover band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Here's the situation. I'm starting a funk / hip hop band soon. 4 of the guys and i have been playing together for a while but never in a hip hop context.

my plan is to cover a bunch hip hop songs and take old funk songs and put a hip hop twist on them as we write original stuff.

i plan to start playing shows after we get a bunch of covers down (by that time i'm sure we'll have a few originals).

when are you considered a cover band? part of me wants to introduce the background of every tune because it's not really mine. jazz and blues guys play covers like there is no tomorrow and usually don't point out the original artist...but you don't call them cover bands.

opinions???

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You're a cover band when you're in a band that plays covers.

Maybe Blues and Jazz groups don't get tagged with the moniker, but since they're different genres, it's apples/oranges.

3. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI

jazz and blues to funk is not apples and oranges. more like pears to peaches. :)

4. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I think what it comes down to is that the "blues standards" come from a time where there weren't mass media outlets for music to be played. Even with the radio, there were a lot of none music programs on and I think that most radio stations would play "black" music. So the only place you would hear these great blues and jazz songs would be live. So unlike this day and age, no one really knew who originally did the songs due to a lack of exposure.

I guess it's kind of like if a popular band plays a song by a small indie band, is it considered a cover since very few people knew the original? I mean, people that knew the original song would say it's a cover, but to everyone outside of that small group it's a new song.

As for the modern term "cover band" I think you get your offical cover-band membership card when you have <%50 original work. I mean, most bands start out coverbands till they get their personal groove and get some original song output going.

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    good point

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    labels, schmabels!

I guess labels are important in marketing yourself, but they shouldn't be important in determining how *you* feel about what you're doing, IMO...