Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When are you to old (in Metal/Heavy Rock)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sultan Of Swing, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Sultan Of Swing

Sultan Of Swing

May 31, 2002
    When do you think you are to old for the thrashing,crazed antics of Heavy Metal/Rock.

I've heard people saying that Metallica and Iron Maiden, being either nearly 40 or 40 plus should tone it down as they're getting to old for that type of stuff. What do you reckon.

I personally say, do it until you can't do it anymore, why change, age is in the mind.

2. Its hard to stay angry and intense when you make millions of dollars, have a wife and kid, and have millions of adoring fans and media. Sometimes its not necessarily age that does a metal band in. A band could go soft when they're still in their 20's, it all depends on what's going on with their careers. Some metal bands can do what they do until they're 60 or what not. Hell, Page and Plant still rock, same with Deep Purple (still, I think the Lead singer should get rid of the bongos).

While there isn't really an age restriction on playing metal, I think there SHOULD be an age restriction on wearing tight leather pants and playing shirtless *shudder*

*observes the recent increase in Metal related posts*
    SofS, do you like Metal? :D

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think will hit it on the head. You'll see guys like Steely Dan, Paul Simon, Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones, ect. still chugging along at 50 and beyond. Why? Because anger and hate can only get you so far. Will is right, when hate fuels you, it can only last so long with millions of fans money, families. It's why most metal bands quit, rather than peter out at the end.

That's why you'll see the more middle of the road artists last a lot longer. They have the fortune to wear out, not burn out.

That said, I'm happy as is in a metal band. Might as well get the agression out why I still have it.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    When you're friggin' dead, man!

;)

Ozzy is still rockin' out and he's in his fifties! Although, I think The Rolling Stones look ridiculous living the "rock star" lifestyle at their age(s).

My four-cents on the subject.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But it's Ozzy...all known rules cease to apply when dealing w/ Ozzy.

And one of these days, Keith is gonna be up on stage playing, and his arm is gonna fall off...and he'll keep playing. It's gonne be Keith and roaches left after the Apocalypse. He's gonna sit up, "Damn, I saw a bright light and I though it was time to go on stage..."
    The world will be Twinkies (Only food with a half life like U-238), roaches, Cher and Keith...it's gonna be dark days when they have to repopulate the earth...

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

AAGGHH!!! MY EYES!!! You just gave me a visual which I would prefer not to have in my mind!!!:eek:

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Keith Richards is so old, he's already died three times!

"You're dead, lay down!"

8. Ronnie James Dio is still very active, same goes for Manowar and King Diamond (Mercyful Fate), both just made a new album. And what a bout Lemmy? he is not exactly young anymore.... I don't see why you can't make metal when your older, not all metal is anger and hate, don't think Dio ever was about "hate and anger"........

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    iron maiden wasn't all about "anger and hate" either.

these kinds of stereotypes are why metal bands got persecuted by people who never even heard their albums.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Word!

"Got" persecuted? As far as I know, the persecution continues to this day, and for the same reasons.

11. You're headbanging and your hair falls out

It takes you all night to finish a beer

Your arthritis causes you to cancel tour dates

Your tour bus is wheelchair accessible

You have to miss a show to go to your grandkids high school graduation

You call your own music "Too darn loud!"

:D

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Can ah git an ayyyy-maaay-un?!?! To me, age is on the calendar, music is in the heart............(at least that's how I deal with it :rolleyes: ).

40, nowadays, is what 50 or 60 was a generation or two ago. Moreover, I've played with guys who are at least 10 years my junior, chronologically, who are at least 10 years mentally older than I.

When I mentioned to a band, (one I call my "hobby band"), that we work in a Hoobastank song, a Jimmy Eat World song, and a Weezer song, the two guys in their 30's, (10 yrs. younger than I), were like, "Who???" Only the vocalist, who is in his late 20's, knew the songs/bands I was talking about.

Bottomline, if you can still crank it out convincingly, if you stay aware of new music, I think people will come to hear you.

13. If its too loud, you're too old.

Greg

14. I think there is something to the argument that metal is founded in anger and aggression. I'm not one for embracing preconceptions, but heavily distorted guitars spitting out machine-gun palm-muted power chords don't exactly connote serenity. Metallica invoked this argument to justify the end of their thrash era--younger, hungrier death- and power-metal bands were just a whole lot heavier.

However, age and emotional intensity are entirely uncorrelated. Coltrane made his most intense music at 40; admittedly, he knew that he was dying of liver cancer, but he went out with a bang. Miles Davis was making some pretty heavy stuff (Agharta and Pangaea) when he was pushing 50. Beethoven wrote the 9th Symphony, which is pretty damned metal, when he was 56 or 57.

BWWill: when I have seized power over Planet Earth and declared myself God-King, my first decree shall be enforcing the death penalty for all persons over the age of 35 who are caught wearing leather pants and do not meet my personal aesthetic standards. :D

15. You're hitting the oxygen tank instead of a bong

The only gig you can score is at your friends retirement village

Your groupies are throwing adult diapers on the stage instead of panties.

you hike the pink tiger stripe spandex over your beer belly

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

17. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have the DVD of the Black Sabbath reunion concert a couple of years ago, and these guys still rock in their 50s. Plus, I just turned 40, and while I haven't played metal in about 5 years, I would like to think I can still do it...;) Of course I may be in denial, so just humor the old guy...