Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When Ari meets JP... report!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Jan 27, 2003.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Yesterday, I had the opportunity to met our own Tber Ari :D

He was glad enough to visit me at home and bring his MTD 535 and Sadowsky 5/24 basses.

The MTD 535 has a myrtle burl top over tulipwood body alonf with a wenge neck. This is the very first MTD i was able to touch. As fan of Mike's work as I am, MTD are very rare here in france and Ari is maybe the one and only owner! Construction was top notch, fit and finish excellent and the bass was very lightweight! As I expected, those barts pickups had the little "bart" thing I'm not too found of but, don't get me wrong the bass sounded great even if the strings were a bit dead!

Ari's sadowsky has a spalted maple "top" over an ash body, maple neck and lined ebony fingerboard. As on all sadowskys, attention to details was excellent! the bass was loaded with the sadowsky soapbars and the passive tone pot option. I was disapointed about the spalted maple "top" thas was more an veener than a top. It is about 2mm thick and bent over the forearm cut. looks cool from the top but a bit cheapo sideways IMO. However, i don't know how much Roger charges for this option...Are all sadowsky tops like that? The ones I've tried in the past were all solid color or sunburst so I had never noticed this detail. Now the sound: the sadowsky kicked ass! The new passive pickups worked way better than the EMG for me and the preamp has a very nice and musical bass boost :)
    Playability was great and the swamp ash body was also lightweight. the bass sounded very precise and punchy (just how I like them :D) and the only think I wish was different is the neck pickup position. I would have it a little more towards the neck because in passive mode I wasn't able to dial the amount of low end I needed only with the blend pot. In active mode no problem to get this low end back with the bass boost.

Ari also tried the spalted maple plume bass so he is now the only Tber who ever tried a JP Bass :D :D!!!

Peace, JP

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Got pics!

the MTD:
    [​IMG]

The Sadowsky
    [​IMG]

Peace, JP

3. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    JP was kind enough to welcome me to his home, and he showed me the room where his instruments are built. It was very interesting as I had the opportunity to see a few basses in construction.

I took the 535 and the Sadowsky fretless and JP seemed to really enjoy those instruments. As JP said, I'm not sure if there are any other MTDs in France. I got this bass in a trade with our TBer Hman a few months ago and I'm glad to own this excellent instrument.

Concerning the Sadowsky, I can understand JP point of view on the top but I don't share it. I don't think the thin top looks bad from the side, and from what I know Roger chooses to use thin tops so they can be bent easily and so that they don't color the sound of the instrument. That being said, I think this fretless is an incredible bass!

Now for the JP plume bass! A more experienced bassist would certainly gives you a better review but here are my thoughts: I was really impressed by the plume! Construction is really serious, and the instrument feels sturdy. Weight is a bit on the heavy side, I wish I could have tried it standing up. But the playability is excellent and best of all... it sounds great! IMHO this is another instrument that proves you don't need to have a 35" scale to have a great B string. I really liked the bass. It is also really reasonably priced. Way to go JP!

Thanks to JP, Aurélie and Fred for the warm welcome and see you soon!

Ari

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks for the kind comments Ari. In fact the walnut used for the body of the bass you played is a bit heavier than the alder or the limba I usually favor for the plume model.

On my To Do list: buying a STRAP :D!

Anyone can tell me if those bent tops are standard on the sadowskys? Nino??

Peace, JP

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    DAYAM!!!!! Chaa chiiiing!!!! :eek:! LOOK AT WHAT YOU GUYS MADE ME DO AFTER SEEING THOSE PICS OF THE BASSES! I gotta go wipe :( brb!

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Ok... all cleaned out now...

those basses look beautiful Ari!
    JP: good job at the photo shooting! Those basses look marvelous.

DM

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Salut Ari, it's been a while. Vraiment super belle tes basses!

JP, I will send you an E-mail soon for a quote :)

8. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Nah, I didn't shoot those pics... I assume the sadowsky is Ari's pic but the MTD comes from bass central's site.

I promise next time I'll shoot some more with my digital camera :D

Peace, JP

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Those are fantastic looking basses! I really wish I could try out one of yours, JP. Looks like some top-notch work you're doing over there.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yes, all tops on Sadowsky instruments are Bent over the countours.

11. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Hey JP! I love your basses, they look awesome, and from the recording of your Plume Bass #26112002 I'd say they sound awesome too. I gotta ask, who was playing? Some scary good stuff in there ;)

12. Wow! Nice basses!:eek: All of them! I'm looking to get a Roscoe LG-3000 with a Burl Myrtle top. It looks stunning in person!:cool:

[​IMG]

13. Here's a pic of that bass in action. That's not me playing it, though. I took the pic.

[​IMG]

14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks! my friend Bastien Burger was playing. He ordered a plume bass, one week after trying the #26112002 for recording the sound clips :D

Peace, JP

15. Hey JP - The basses on your site look beautiful!:D
    I notice you are using set necks as standard construction. Can you give us any info on the stability, ruggedness and attack/sustain characterisitics of the set neck versus a bolt-on or neckthrough design, and more specifically why you chose this method? The only other set-neck basses I've seen are the Gibson EB series, so I am quite curious and interested in your response.

16. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    There are more builders who use set neck construction (Darrin Huff, Mark Esenbaugh, Carl Thompson, Fodera, Keneth Lawrence...to name a few)

I'd have a hard time to really tell you the differences between set neck/bolt on/neck thru because to do it accurately, I should have tried those different methods on the very same bass...and I've not!
    Comon word is to say that bolt on and set necks are giving quicker attack to the strings.

What I can say is that there's no problem with neck stability.

As far as sound is concerned, my goal is always to produce precise and punchy bass that will cut through the mix. I'm getting what I want with the set neck construction but I've nailed it too with others methods!

Why I choose set neck...
    Well, I really don't like having metal bolts holding the neck. There's nothing wrong with them and bolts do provide a solid and stable joint but I just don't like the neck to body transition resulting of bolt on design.

Peace, JP