When bad gigs attack!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by silvermaneZ, Jun 12, 2001.

1. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I was not sure where to put this, but felt that I would share...

I don't know how many of you have been in the middle of a band coming apart at the seams, but that is happening to me and it is really interesting to be a part of. We are basically a backing band for this lead singer who is trying to be the next big country thing. Consequently, he makes all the decisions at to where, when and what we play, and takes no input from the other 4 members of the band.

For the last 6 months, he has been working in cahoots with a local engineer to try and record a CD of his original material. Apparently the engineer is a brainwasher, because our singer has decided that he wants to use our keyboard player on the CD sparingly, and myself, the drummer, and the guitarist not at all. The problem is, we were the last ones to know. Our drummer walked into the music store where he works part time yesterday and had one of the other salesmen ask him why he was not playing on the CD. Apparently everyone else in town except for us was very aware that the three of us were not on the CD, and other musicians were being brought in to play on it.

To top it off, there is a singer coming in from Nashville to do a showcase next month. She is coordinating through the previously mentioned engineer to get a backing band together. Our keyboard player got recruited to put the band together for one gig, and guess who did not get asked to be a part of it? That's right, myself, our drummer, and guitarist. And the real kick in the head? The bassist they are using for that show is the one that was fired from this gig before I came in. Explain THAT one to me.

So, our drummer has decided to call it quits tonight at rehearsal, and give his notice. Our guitar player is going to give his notice as soon as financially he can afford to. And also, the keyboard player may be transferred to a new office two hours south of here in the next few months. So, I do not know what I am going to do. The money is real good for the gig, but I joined because of the drummer and guitarist, and if they split, that leaves me in a mental bind. Like I said, coming apart at the seams.....

More updates to come as they happen.
  2. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    Sounds like your singer and keyboard man are gonna do their own thing anyway, so you ought to start a new band with the guitarist and drummer.

This advice is free. No charge today.
  3. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I like that advice. You guys may have a good thing going here. That singer will flop without you; just wait and see.
  4. 31 hz

31 hz

Dec 29, 2000
    heh, I third the motion. I'm sure there's a big need for a solid bass player - sometimes it takes a couple months to find the right connex...

31 hz