When basses come back home to you.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I sold the very first bass i ever owned, a fender mustang. about 6 years later the guy i sold it to gave it back to me for a birthday present.

Last year i sold a kid one of my dan electro hodads (i had two). i recently started playing the other one a lot and began to regret selling the one i did. the price on those things is beginning to rise also, as they're becoming harder to come by and think people are starting to realize how great they sound. the kid saw me a week ago and asked if i wanted it back for the same price i sold it to him for. yesterday i got my hodad back. :bassist:

Anyone else have sticky problem with their basses?
  2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Well, I tried in vain to drop hints to malabito to gimme back my ATK(!) :p , but to no avail. So I traded a bass to romeoarmada for his ATK, which I am looking forward to getting.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I had that happen once. I had a PBC GTB 356 that I traded for a Zon Sonus 4 which I ended up selling. Later, the guy Who made the trade told me he was selling the PBC, so I bought it bacl.

Same thing happenned when I had a Conklin. The guy who bought it from me offered to sell it back, but I just didn't have the funds.
  4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    while i will not argue your first point, i will explain myself....

sold the bass for $125, and rebought it for the same. parents came to the rescue and helped me with my transmission. i was so pissed that i may have to drop $165 on the damn parking ticket that in my somewhat twisted logic reasoned that i deserve to drop $125 on myself. played a gig for $120 last night, so also reasoned that had the gig been cancelled (like last weeks was cuzza st pat's day) i'd have taken it in stride - buying the bass was like cancelling the gig, moneywise..... and finally, i needed a pacifier for all the crap i've been dealing with. this bass is doing the job.

i also am starting to really dig the hodads. they feedback! like guitars, it's wicked cool for jamming and doing sonic youth type of crap. they're slightly flimsy too and i don't entierely trust that my other one won't just one day fall completely apart. feel safe having two - also thinking of ripping the frets out of one of them.... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.....

as for being weird, ahhh... another time. actually, how bout this - i gave away my sx fretless to kid at our last all ages show, right in the middle of all my money stuff. i've got lots of reasons for having done that also but i won't get into it. it made me feel GREAT for a few days, and i still feel pretty damn good about it now. to him, it was like getting a bongo for free. :)
  5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    thanks. no problem. yooz guys is like family to me.
  6. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    I let my brother's friend borrow my very first bass. I went away to college. About 2 years later I remembered lending it out. (It wasn't anything special, a Sears model at best.) Turns out that they weren't really friends anymore and weren't in communication with each other.

I recently saw my exact same bass in the local music shop for sale. It had a crappy paint job and a few new dings and scratches on it. I swear it was mine! I'd recongnize that fisher price thing anywhere! They were asking $50 for it. I almost bought it just for sentimental reasons but it was painted and just not the same.

I think I was more upset that someone else sold it to the store for a couple dollars and not me. I could have really used $20 at the time.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    My first bass was a Godin A4. I tried selling it at my local music store, but they didn't want it(that was 6-7 years ago). I ended up selling it privately. This year it turns up at the music store I was trying to sell it at in the first place. Same bass. Same scratches/same problems;)
  8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, here's a bump for the thread Joe - I'm currently awaiting word from the guy I eBayed my fretless Buzzard to. I replaced it with a fretted one a couple days later, but it's just not the same. It doesn't speak to me like the toothless one did. I shouldn't have given up on my fretless abilities so soon, and I'm gonna pay the price, either by buying the other one back (if the guy will do it) or by buying yet another from Warwick. Stupid, stupid me.
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Nah.. once they're gone, they're gone. I don't miss my Lotus P-Bass one bit.
  10. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I've been through my fair share of gear. The only one I regret having sold was a Zon Sonus 4/1. It was a metallic blue that I actually picked up for a great deal from GC. Of course being from GC it had a couple dings, but well worth it for the price. That bass played and sounded amazing! Single dual coil pickup- it was a stingray killer! At the time I was in need of a fretless and didn't have enough cash to hold on to everything. I wish I could get that thing back. If the guy who bought it is on here drop me a line!

11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, but on the upshot, you're missing some really, really cool basses.
  12. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    My first bass was a Hondo Fame that I purchased in 1984 for $140. I later bought a beautiful hard case for it for $70. In 1986 I sold the bass with case for $115 to another student of my bass teacher. About 8 years later I came across the students number and called her. I left a message offering to buy back the bass but I never heard back. I look for that same black HONDO fame on ebay all the time but can never find it. I regret ever letting it go. :bawl:
  13. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    The dumbest bass move I ever made was trading my Lakland dlx 55-94 + $ for a Sadowsky. The Lakland was a far better bass, I wish I had it back :mad:

I let a nice Roscoe SKB 3005 get away, and I also had my '66 Jazz (I'm the 2nd owner, had it 21 years) refinned to all black because I never cared for the sunburst, but the Lakland move was a real bonehead thing to do.
  14. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    i really miss my jazz bass copy - it was great, MIA level... but at that time i didn`t knew anything about gear and sold it to buy a ibanez soundgear wich lasted with me for 3 months.... a good friend of mine bought it, so at leas i know it`s in good hands.
  15. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    My first ever bass, a cheapo "Axe" P-style bass that I done up a bit (sanded off the paint on the neck and headstock,put my own logo on it with paint and Letraset and added a Seymour Duncan P-Bass pickup) recently showed up at our local music shop! I was tempted to buy it back for sentimental reasons, but then I saw what they wanted for it - £150! I only paid £60 for it when I bought it in 1989!

I have sold some good basses over the years, including a couple of nice customs... I had a very nice Nightingale 4-string custom bass with a humbucker/MM pickup config, 3-band EQ and a very nice snakewood fingerboard that I got rid of, an unusual, almost Claypool-esque fanned-fret 6-string bass that I occasionally miss, and, most of all, my black custom 4-string done by the Sei Bass guys (not an actual Sei, it was built from a body and neck I got from Brandoni Guitars, and considerably reshaped and modified by Martin Petersen and Chris McIntyre) - it was not-quite-Sei-shaped (but had the Sei Original headstock), it also had a 26-fret ebony fingerboard, black finish, single Bartolini MME pickup, Schack 3-band circuit and a Kahler tremolo. I miss that bass a lot... it got me through some hard times and I had to sell it due to financial considerations a few years back. I sold it to the Bass Cellar in Denmark St, so if anyone knows of its whereabouts, I'd be very grateful to know what became of it.

I did have a bass that did come back to me, as it goes... I had a Bass Collection bass that I did up a bit with Seymour Duncan pickups (the ones with the three little switches) and a Kahler trem bridge... I sold it to the Bass Centre as a part-ex on another bass, then ended up getting it back about 2 years later...!

Russ :bassist: