1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When BL asks you to play a song in C on a 4er @ Eb

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by njones89, Feb 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    I have a Precision tuned to Eb with an Xtender that drops to C#. BL says we will play a song that is C standard, he doesn't care/understand my perspective. It doesn't make sense to bring a 5er for just one song. Also wouldn't make sense to tune C standard for the rest of the set list. I think I will just bring a capo for that and use octave FX with dry signal blended out. What would you do in this situation?

I talked to the lead guitar about it and he is pissed off about it, too.

Quantized Harmonic and micguy like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I would tell the bandleader the effort needs to be more collaborative, meaning "listen to my perspective or I'm gone", but hey, that's one very good reason why I'm not currently in a band.

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Being asked to sound a low C note is a totally normal and expected job function of the modern gigging bass player.

Sounds like you have a good solution with the octave effects unit. Problem solved.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Ikkir, TonyP-, SanDiegoHarry and 2 others like this.
  4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    The Line 6 HD500X here has a specific octave patch that was tweaked so a 5 string is no longer required here. FWIW, the one in this HD tracks down to G or E depending on my bass's tone pot setting. It WILL test FOH subs when used.

It's also useful for going from 4 string to 5 during a song if you want to put extreme lows behind a keyboard or guitar solo and then go "back to normal".

Veldar likes this.
  5. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    You have already come up with an adequate solution.... I understand your frustration. The bands I play with have vocalists that always changing keys without any regard to a fret board map.
    When you find yourself frustrated, maybe consider that smooth seas make poor sailors.
    Don't let 'em see you sweat. Smile and make it look easy. Your ability to accommodate changes will make you more valuable for the next band/next gig.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sure, it's a tad ridiculous. But the obvious solution to me is reeeeeeeeally complicated. I'll see if I can explain.

Ya' ready?

Here goes.

Don't play a low C in that one song. Just don't. Play all the other notes. But when you get to low C, play a middle C. Done.

Yeeeeeeer welcome. :thumbsup:

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    ^ What he said. If the guitarist complains, just tell him that's as low as you get.

Short-scale, Lia_G and FunkHead like this.
  8. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    Man isn't that going to sound like crap? Oh well, if it does, it's not my fault the BL didn't listen.

9. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    To be sure, the whole show won't be ruined by a middle C instead of a low C in ONE SONG?????

Just tell the guy that's what you have to do and play it what way. The. Crowd. Won't. Care.

At. All.

Seriously, they won't care. Any. None. Zero. Nada.

Smile and beat the crap out of middle C. Pluck it with your middle finger so you think you're getting away with something. :cool:

10. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    Thanks! I needed that!

NJSouth, BioWeapon and Esoge like this.
  11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Finding new creative ways to shoot the bird to band leaders...... that's why I'm here.;)

12. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    What all have you came up with so far?

13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Perhaps we should start a thread? Ha!

Rocker949, Winfred and NJSouth like this.
  14. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    Do it! That would be a good one! ahahahaha

15. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I'm with you---- most of the crowd wouldn't know if you played a low E or G instead of a middle C:bassist:

bassbully and Short-scale like this.
  16. C standard. Let's see.

A string, 3rd fret, 15th fret.
    E String, 8th fret, 20th fret.
    D string, 10th fret, 22nd fret.
    G string, 5th, fret, 17th fret.

I think. It's harder for me to write it than to play it.

Short-scale, gebass6, TonyP- and 6 others like this.
  17. How do you use your five string? I get the impression you use it solely for the extra 5 low notes. The other frets are useable as well. I wouldn't say it doesn't make sense, I would just use the higher fingerings offered with a B string.

18. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Get a Mono Double bag and bring two basses. Or just retune the 5

ThePresident777 likes this.
  19. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    C standard tuning, not just C notes. There is probably a good reason why some bands play in a different tunings rather than just move to a different position on the fretboard. Gee I wonder why...

I could move the open string notes up, which makes the song a little more difficult to play, and it is not going to sound as good. Sure, it will be in harmony with the rest of the band, but it's going to change the feel of the song.

20. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Does a tune being in "C standard" actually demand the instrument be returned?
    Is the concern the ability to play low C, to cop a specific riff?

Because a song tuning and an instruments tuning should generally be independent of one another.

I almost always play EGAD .
    I played for a guy who had a tune that as recorded used a low Eb
    I used the octave up, no one cared.

SteveC, bassbully, crentest and 3 others like this.