1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When did eden start overseas building?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew P. Morris, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Matthew P. Morris

Matthew P. Morris

May 3, 2007
    Im curious. Can't seem to find an answer for when Eden started manufacturing in china. Post if ya know
    Thanks

2. Hi.

Well, I don't know, but I'd assume it was when the company changed hands.

And if You think all of those Chinese mfg. amps are Edens, they aren't ;).

Regards
    Sam

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I just looked it up...US Music bought Eden in late 2002, so I guess the following year is when it started.

4. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I recently bought some older Eden cabs.. i was curious too.. you beat me to it..:p

5. Matthew P. Morris

Matthew P. Morris

May 3, 2007
    I found this from December 2008 for
    The Eden forums. It mentions them moving all operations over. So it's possible that they started in 2009? I'm still doing some digging. There has to be an Eden club page .. Someone has answer on there I'm sure

6. So all of Eden's gear is made in China?

7. It's all about money. Peavey did the same thing a few years back, to cut costs and keep prices down.

8. teemuk

teemuk

Mar 1, 2011
    At least some of them are OEM from Smarvo, which is based in Taiwan.

U.S. Music Corp. sources its products from all over the globe, whoever provides the best deal. I wouldn't really care so much where they're made but HOW they're made.

9. Kind of ironic that their name is "U.S." Music Corp then.;)

But if their stuff is still the same quality, then you can't fault them for trying to make money. That's how the global economy is nowadays.

10. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    David series cabinets are US-made, all the rest is from China/Asia. Nemesis (what Eden used to call its entry level brand) was always foreign-made. Eden amps were assembled in the US until the end of 2008, using mostly foreign-sourced parts, the same as all electronics. The assemblers were themselves somewhat foreign-sourced, from what a visitor to the factory observed and posted on the Eden forum.

11. Fixed it for 'ya...;)...

12. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    True - the David series cabs are made in the U.S. (for now), but the crossovers for those cabs are made in the China.

Here is a PDF from Eden explaining.

:)

13. Matthew P. Morris

Matthew P. Morris

May 3, 2007
    Ampeg is all overseas also. But the thing is. There along with Eden still charging the same price for the stuff that was previously built here. : (

14. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    The handles, corner protectors and possibly even the plywood could all be from overseas as well. As with the amps, "assembled in the U.S." isn't all that much different from assembled overseas.

15. With the exception that it employs Americans for assembly and profits go to an American company as opposed to not. I personally have made a conscious decision to buy products made in North America if I can. I have no problems with the quality of many of the Chinese products and have gladly bought them in the past but given this economy, and my fortunate ability to spend a little more I'll choose to buy local first. (Even groceries)

16. This. It can be hard to figure it all out, and it is more expensive for sure. But I like to keep my money close to home.

17. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Right - but it doesn't say "assembled in the U.S."; it says "all EDEN D-Series Cabinets are manufactured in Mundelein, IL., USA."

18. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    And I totally agree with you, right down to the groceries. Every little bit helps, and I didn't mean to belittle our shared position. It's not always more expensive either, like when you make friends with the farmer selling you food at the farmer's market and suddenly you're being showered with all the vegetables you can eat at giveaway prices.

19. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    AFAIK, with the blue Nemesis series combos.. the cabs/speakers are US made.. the electronics/amp chassis/hardware are Chinese..

i have to replace caps in my NC-212, but i'm very happy with it as it is right now.. it's light, loud and most of all sounds very good..

i'd like to get the extension Nemesis 212 cab for it.. Daddy's Music had one, but they went out of business..

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg is NOT all overseas. The Heritage line and the Pro Neo cabs are US made.