Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When did Fender make these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirtrider, May 4, 2005.

1. http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/ike-1f-passivebass/index.html

Scroll down about 1/3 of the page.

"Fender USA`70 Precision Bass "Factory Special Run"Limited"
    [​IMG]

Apparently, it's an American 70's RI. I've had my eye on the Japanese 70's RI for a while now. I am stunned that there is an American 70's RI. The reason I am going with a CIJ Fender is because there are no MIA 70's RI's. At least that's what I thought. Anyone have any info on these?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It might be a Japanese Market exclusive. Fender does that once in a while.

Edit: By the way, we need a drooling smiley...

[​IMG]

3. Daayum, that would be just what I need. Never heard of it.

4. More Japanese 70's craziness.
    [​IMG]

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think it's ugly, but I'm sure it'll sound pretty darn nice.

However, to answer the original question, it was in the past couple of years. Apparently, it didn't get the response they wanted until it was gone. Great basses, I'd love to have one, but from what I hear, the Japanese Fender 70's are as good as the American ones. But nothing will ever beat the real deal 12 lb. boat anchor from the 70's. LOL

6. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I dunno, a real one is always cool but when doing a lot of heavy touring, a replacement to get beat up because of the road is not a bad idea. Besides, most of the basses that have come from Japan have been better build quality than most of the stuff that can be had today...

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Mine is MIA :)

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The bass shown in the original post was a limited run made about a year or two ago.

It is NOT a 70s reissue, it is a regular American Series P-bass but they use 70s cosmetics (big logo decal, black guard, etc.) so it looks like a 70s bass from afar.

Most importantly it doesn't have the tree trunk neck or 2-ton ash body :cool:

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That bass looks AWESOME!!!!!!

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I have never liked red basses or matching headstocks until now! :bassist: Pyrohr I had the same comment the first time I saw yours. Very nice!

11. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Most importantly the quality is probably more consistent and you are more likely to get a good player!

12. Did that MM-style bucker come on the 70s RI originally or did somebody add that on there? As far as I know, I never knew Fender made any 70s precisions (or any basses for that matter) with MM pups (with the exception of the am dlx p doulbe js.)

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    New Valenti project?

14. You know, Originally Essex offered that combination and it looked that good too.

15. No, that's a strap-on

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    But does it have the three-bolt neck with micro-tilt?
    That's what she said. Huh huh huh huh huh.

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yeah for $1400 bucks cheaper I guess! I wonder how well the Essex played and how good it sounded compared to the MIA 75 FRS RI jazz?

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope. Fender Japan is putting new spins on old basses. Offering the 70's RI with a Badass II stock, or strange pickup combos, or fretlesses, odd colors, etc.

19. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    [​IMG]

:smug:

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The next (personal) Valenti Project will be this in a 5 string. I'm calling it my Geddy Vee. (the V is for 5 string)

[​IMG]