When did Flea start using GK????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by philzbass, Feb 8, 2006.

1. I know Flea uses GK equipment. I want to know how long has he been using it, and did he ever use anything else?
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Since people started paying him to use GK equipment. :D

I'll be in the other room if you need me....
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    At least since the early '90s.
  4. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I remember seeing a lot of mesa boogie stuff behind Flea in the olden days, I believe I saw some 210s and 15's, quite a lot of them.
  5. dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    has anyone seen the...oh **** mind blank

the old red hot chilis live dvd, not slane, its got an orange front...ill remember it later and kick myself

its a great dvd anyway, not sure what gear he uses in it though, but I prefer it much more compared to slane
  6. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    The off the map DVD I believe.Ya it's great but he's using GK there too.Same as Slane!
  7. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I have Off The Map, he's actually using Mesa cabs there with GK heads. His config was (from memory so may not be accurate) 3 GK RB-1001-IIs with two setup as slave power amps to the other one. This then ran into three stacks consisting of each 1 Mesa 2x10 and 1 Mesa 2x15. He switched to GK cabs too eventually, not sure when exactly.
  8. yonic84

Jun 3, 2007
  9. Cajunmetalist

Aug 26, 2006
    Eunice, La
    He started when he seen Justin C. using in on tour :)
  10. louelou

Apr 20, 2005
    Foolish mortal, your ignorance is apalling. He was using GK heads before JC was on the scene. I love both players though. Two different styles, both with great tone.
  11. BassSurfer

BassSurfer Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Brooklyn & Queens, NYC

12. there is a quote that he said that he's only been using GKs and he couldn't imagine using anything else
  13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Using the GK heads forever, but was still using the Mesa 2x10+2x15 stacks through "Californication".
    Think he switched when touring for "By The Way". He doesn't mike 'em live anyway, so not much difference. :)
  14. Meggersnewbass

Jun 7, 2007
    To be honest i don't really like the chilli peppers so i don't pay attention to them but flea is cool
  15. GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I saw him in the late '80s or very early '90s It was their Chicago debut. He was using a Furman preamp, a Yamaha power amp with a huge Gause Bass ported bass bin and 2X12 on top. MM Stingray and a MM Cutlas. They were the opening act.

16. Yea, and Justin only started using GK. He whored the hell outta Mesa since before joining Tool. He still uses a Mesa Road Ready 4x12 and 8x10.