When did Flea.....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Alexvs, Oct 24, 2000.

1. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    ....start to use Modulus basses?

(Need to know what a Stingray sounds like!!)
  2. when they begged him to i guess?

seriously dunno, go to redhotchilipeppers.com, someone on the chat group there will know.

Oh and Stringrays sound fantastic.
  3. Alexvs,
    Flea started using Modulus basses sometime in '96, and then they made his signature model. The thing is, though, even when he was playing StingRays, he didn't record always record with them. So if you're looking on RHCP albums for what a StingRay sounds like, you may not find it. And a StingRay played by Flea sounds much different than one played by you or me, I guarantee ya.
  4. "And a StingRay played by Flea sounds much different than one played by you or me, I guarantee ya."

Aint that the truth!!!

5. old-timer1

Jan 31, 2000
    Flea would play any piece of **** as long as someone pays him to play it...and the fact still remains for those of you who think Flea is the greatest thing since sliced bread...he did'nt invent slapping ! He's not even great at it !
  6. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    hey no need to get hostile
  7. Hey Old Timer don't have a coronary!

Did I miss something?

Don't remember anyone saying Flea invented slapping or that he was 'the best thing since sliced bread'...

Just because I'm a chili peppers fan (from long before Flea was famous as a 'bassist' or before I started playing bass I might add) doesn't I'm totally ignorant... just a little!

8. Also, I dont think he'd play an IBanez SDGR. Christ, even I wouldnt play one of those for money!
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm not up on RHCP album titles, but the album before Californication was played with an Alembic bass. How long ago was that?

This is actually a good topic...many bassists are well known for using a particular bass, but actually most get the same sound no matter WHAT they use.

I've seen Jack Bruce play Aria Pro II (he endorsed them back around 1980), Spector, Warwick, StingRay (!!!) and he sounded just like when he was playing his EB-3. Some of the Cream stuff was recorded with a Danelectro! So much for needing that Gibson to get his trademark burping tone.

Tom Petersson with Cheap Trick is known for playing Hamer 12 strings live but recorded most of their albums with either a P-bass or a Thunderbird!

Chris Squire used a Thunderbird, not a Rickenbacker on "The Yes Album".

Bill Wyman used all kinds of stuff live with the Stones: Vox, Fender, Gibson, Steinberger, Travis Bean, etc. but 90% of the studio stuff was done with an old Framus that he had yanked the frets out of (most people wouldn't even ID his playing as fretless).

etc., etc.

10. the album before californication was one hot minute.

most of the time i think he recorded using whatever bass sounds best at the time and only played live with the stingray.

as you said, the flea sound is still the flea sound... s'all in the fingers as we all know so well.
  11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Brian...

...yeah this is kinda a cool topic.

Another good example of this is Geddy Lee, particularly the tone he got on the "Moving Pictures" recording. At the time he was known as a Ric player, but he actually used his black 70's Fender maple-necked Jazz for the whole record. What a KILLER sound on that one.... :D
  12. Yep, Geddy is a great example of this. I've seen him in concert and heard him on record playing the Rick, Steinberger, Wal and Fender, and he ALWAYS sounds the same. He just has that trademark tone, the one that made me want to play bass in the first place!
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Dave...funny, that's the same sound I heard! :D
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Me too!

He used the Jazz a lot on Counterparts as well, but Geddy sounds like Geddy, no matter WHAT he plays.

[Edited by embellisher on 10-29-2000 at 12:20 AM]
  15. Flea used an Alembic Epic on most of One Hot Minute, a Wal on some of Blood Sugar Sex Magic, and what sounds like either a Warwick or a Spector on Mother's Milk. I think the best sound came from his Stingray, though, (I hate the Alembic sound on One Hot Minute) but his Modulus sounds pretty good too.
    he said in bass player that uneven response on the stingray's neck (presumably meaning deadspots) led him to use other basses on the albums.