Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When did G&L start making 5's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    When did G&L start making 5's?

thanks!

2. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Thanks Mon...I was looking for a specific year?

chef

3. sorry. wasn't being sarcastic...just being general. Not entirely sure what year, but I believe the model was the L2500.

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Mon; no "attitude" percieved or implied;)

I believe you are correct on the L2500 being the designation...

Just lookin' for specific info!

5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Has G&L ever made a five string jazz w/ single coils?

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I'm not sure when G&L began making 5 strings. :confused:

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The first G&L 5 string was the L5000. They only made 400 of them. I used to own one. Bought it in '91 I believe. They had a very narrow string spacing. More narrow than a Fender Jazz V. they had a Z shaped precision style pick up. most of them had a sickle shaped headstock. The low b on these basses was AWSOME! It was a passive bass.
    In about '96 they switched to the L5500. More like the current L2500. The L5500 had emg pickups slightly wider string spacing.
    After that came the current L2500.

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I actually tried out the first G&L 5 string at the 1988 Atlanta Georgia NAMM show. It was a had a very narrow neck, chessy black knobs, single coil p/u's and a pick guard. I don't remember the model designation but I do remember how disappointed I was when I saw and played it. It looked like a cheap Fender imitation. At that time I was an L-2000E addict and had waited months to check out their 5 string version. Talk about being disappointed! I'm not sure if it ever even hit the streets. A far cry from the L-5500 and L-2500.

9. I have a L5000 and I reckon it is about the best bass I've ever played (just my opinion). I love the P bass sound and the fantastic low B to boot. I don't think Fender were ever able to produce a P bass that sounds like this one. The smaller string spacing suits my style. I'd also like to own a L5500.

The L5000 models were produced between 1987 and 1993 which were then replaced by the L5500 models (with wider necks and EMG pickups) and in turn these were replaced by the L2500 (with MFD pickups) in 1997.

Here's a pic of me playing my L5000.

Cheers,

Jamie

Attached Files:

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    1988 looks like the best bet. What I have here says it was introduced before the ASAT was, which was 1989. The first 5 was the L5000, followed by the L1505 after BBE took over, the L5500 in 1994, and then the L2500.

I almost bought a Tribute L2500, but the dealer wouldn't cut me a deal for a trade-in. I still like 'em, but I'll stick with my Fenders for now.

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    There are new sorta reasonably priced 2500's on ebay, and used T2500's show up here pretty regularly.
    They'll put a whippin' on any Fender 5 I've had, so far.

I did eventually sell mine and buy a USA 2500.