1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When did G&L start using CNC and PLEK?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Madcity Fats, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I know it's a fairly recent development in both cases (Fullerton's "George & Leo" book, published in '05 repeatedly refers to the fact that everything there is done by hand just like the good ol' days--which I found kind of amusing), but does anyone know roughly when the CNC and PLEK processes were embraced by G&L?

Just curious really. I have a bass that I'm guessing is "on the cusp" of this technology, probably an early to mid '06 model (haven't pulled the neck yet). If that one wasn't PLEKed, it's got to be the finest hand fretwork I've ever come across. The CNC thing, I think, is harder to detect.

Also, anyone have an idea what it costs to have a bass PLEKed after the fact? Can they do this on a neck that shows some fret wear that would otherwise be a suitable candidate for crowning?

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    CNC, I dunno from.
    PLEK started early 06 on basses, guitars went earlier.
    It is possible to get any instrument PLEK'd, check the PLEK website for someone near you.
    Cost is ~$200 IIRC...
    They'd prolly have to have the instrument in hand to comment on whether it was an appropriate fix for you.

3. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Mike Lull charges $300, I'm told. But if the bass already has fine fretwork and the nut is cut properly a PLEK job probably won't buy you much.

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    true-dat

5. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Yeah, the dates were what I was really curious about. I don't really have a neck I want to give the PLEK treatment (well, maybe if I had money to burn). I was really just wondering if it was something that was only done in manufacturing or if there are people doing high tech setups this way. Now I know.

Thanks for the info, y'all.

6. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    If I remember correctly, CNC started around the spring of 2006. PLEKing started in the fall of 2006 but wasn't used on all instruments until early in 2007. Something like that, anyway.

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Ah!
    Flash's where I got my info from, so he prolly knows better than me;)

8. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Don't know what the CNC necks look like, but the old necks have "birthmarks" on the back of the headstock used to attach a fixture during the initial stock cut. (IIRC)

9. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    i just got a brand new G&L l2500 about 2 months ago, and it has the birth mark.