Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When did GAS set in for you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Apr 18, 2001.

1. I just wanna know when the GAS got you, cos I've been playing about 4 months and I want so many basses! Dean, Ibanez BTB/EDB/EDC, Spector, Dave Pushics(I wish, but I live in the UK:(), Cort Curbow etc. I dunno whether its the fact that I can actually get a tune out of one, or because I drool at the tone prospects(I spend way too much time examining hardwood tone properties), I don't know, but if I had $5,000 I would be set up for life. I've just started getting into amps too!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When the GAS hit? Like the first time? Easy...I wanted a bigger amp, but it wasn't anything as crippling as GAS...then stumbled across Talkbass in my search for Tabs (JT, don't kill me...), and signed up. No sooner do I sign up, an anti Ibanez thread started, and I found out my GSR200 was a POS of the bass world...after that, Serious GASage hit, and now, after so long, I'm on my way to fixing the GAS I've had for like a year...it's Gonna get fixed my a Carvin 810, and a Pushic Custom...oh yeah, to bad I have to wait for a while, because PA comes first, then Amp...then Bass...it's painfull to think about it...

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    When did GAS set in?

I was really hungry, and we stopped by Taco Bell. Well ten minutes later....

Wait, what are you talking about?

4. I learned about restraint and moderation as soon as I got into TB.Since then I haven't had the desire to look at top of the line gear....NOT!!!

5. The first real band I played in, the guitarist was a collector (still is!) He has like 25 guitars. He turned me on to the Carvin catalog. I called up and ordered one.. it was like ordering a pizza. That's when I got infected with G.A.S.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Ah, yes...this explains why your basses are so greasy.....

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have had GAS for about 20 yrs, To me its called the never ending search for ultimate tone:)
    Ten basses, two guitars a set of drums and 3 amps later I still have GAS.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When I was 12 or 13 and starting out, I didn't know about GAS.

I played bass at my dad's church and the churches bass was pretty much mine.

Then the church split up, dad lost his good job, and what he wound up with from the church had to be sold just to get by. I was 14 or 15 at the time.

Let me tell you, going from having a bass around whenever you wanted it(lived across the road from the church) to having no instrument at all will give you a bad case.

From that time until I finally bought my own at age 19 the only basses I got to play were at different small churches we visited occasionally. It was not a fun experience to be so in love with something and only be able to do it once or twice a week for 30 minutes or so.

Luckily, when I was 16 I found an old classical guitar in a dumpster. I recut the nut, pulled all the frets and strung it up with the heaviest nylon weedeater cord I could find, and that was my only bass until I bought the Peavey T40 at 19.

So, I think that my own personal case of GAS was brought on by a combination of having no real instrument of my own for 4 or 5 years and the fact that the few real basses that I played occasionally were mostly pieces of crap.

I think that whole experience is why I don't plan to ever sell another piece of gear as long as I live.

Oh! And my GAS? It's pretty much terminal.:p

9. I have never had GAS; I am just the collector of fine basses that I can barely afford. :D

10. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN

I'm impressed. You REALLY wanted to play. Everyone should have determination like that.

fisk

11. if you never had gas you never played

12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    When I was 13 and picked up a bass for the very first time. It's been an uphill struggle ever since!

When I wake up in the morning, I have gear on my mind. When I go to bed at night, my last thoughts before I drift off are of more gear.

I have missed work because sales at Guitar Center.
    I have blacked out for days after spending a weeks pay on equiptment.

........well actually it's not that bad. I'm pretty good about controlling my buying urges. ;)

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't have G.A.S...............

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    <font size=5 color=purple>..........G.A.S has me!!!!!!!!!</font>

15. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    G.A.S really hit hard when I bought my 1st 5er, cuz then my amp wasn't good enough, then I needed a back-up bass because we started gigging, then my wife wanted gift ideas, then......

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i know i have GAS (by all the comments i heard) :D

but what is GAS??? what does it mean? G.A.S?
    sorry... it´s the only word here at TB that i have not decipher... i´m foreign

17. I think it stands for Gear Acquirement Syndrome, which fits in with the need to buy gear in all shapes and sizes...like the time I wanted a 12-string just so i could <b>have</b> one, ya know?

18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    thanks for the answer... yeah i have GAS and it´s going to get cured (for a short time ;) ) when i go to US this next August... :D

19. when did GAS hit me? easy. the the day i registered for TalkBass.....

i blame you all! ;)

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I love to play.:)

I just wish my chops were as good as my determination.:eek: