1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When did Ibanez go Bartolini?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rreed, Mar 19, 2009.

1. rreed

rreed

Feb 22, 2009
    Arkham Asylum
    Just what it says. All my life (in my 30s now) that I've been around Ibanez basses I've always loved their sound. I just recently picked up my first (GSR200 to get me started; noob) and plan to later pick up a higher model as I improve.

Anyway, I get the impression the Bartolini pickups are a new addition? Are they? And I'm wondering, if so, how they've changed the "Ibanez" sound? To me the Ibanez sound has always been deep lows, scooped mids, sharp highs and that's what I like about them.

No pun intended, but what's the scoop w/ Bartolini in Ibanez basses?

2. I remember seeing the SR-500 advertised at Sweetwater a couple of years ago and the big thing was that it had the Barts. So it must be fairly new.

3. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
  4. rreed

rreed

Feb 22, 2009
    Arkham Asylum
    Thanks for the article. So I'm guessing since around the mid-90s.

So, for anyone who's owned a pre-Bartolini Ibanez as well as one w/ the Bart pups, what's the difference in sound?

Most likely I would be looking at the SR series if/when I decide to pick one up.

5. vicvon

vicvon

Dec 13, 2008
    Only certain models use the Barts.

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I've seen them for quite a while, usually the korean mk-1s in the mid price range. Not unexpected, because the basses are also made there...

7. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    Hoshino likes to have maximum imput over the desired sound in their pickups. Companies such as Di Marzio and Bartollini are great people to collaborate with, they understand Hoshino's requirements and designs for certain model and artist requests.

8. Ibanez were talking with Carey Nordstrand at this year's NAMM show about possibly using his pickups in their basses also - this might be another nice development?

9. Ibanez's off shore Barts aren't anything to get to excited about, those are the ones that come on their mid range line of basses and lower. The American Barts that Ibanez uses on their high end models are the decent Barts we've come to know.

10. The Professor

The Professor

Nov 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    The earliest production bass with Barts was probably the Gary Willis... although there were a few basses in the American Custom line like the SR-8000 that came with Barts. Sexy sexy basses!!!

:cool: