1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

when did people start taking the band Blink 182 as a guilty pleasure?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Sep 13, 2008.

1. I'm going through their repertoire of music videos.....man this brings me back.....and yea, i'll say it: I think Marc Hoppus kicks @$$

2. I didn't.

3. I don't take them as a guilty pleasure.

If i want to listen to Blink-182, I listen to it. same goes for Pantera, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Iron Monkey, Electric Wizard, Sleep, Neil Young, Madonna (I'll own up to this), The Beatles, Traffic, The Who and Frank Zappa.

If you're having guilty pleasures about enjoying music, there is something more wrong with you than just listening to Blink-182 :smug:

4. nah man, it's just kinda weird how i thought about how much bands ruled until someone put a good putdown on them and you changed your thinking.

i know, spur of the moment posts aren't good, but what the hell.

5. people don't have to like your music choices. As long as they are not forced to listen, they shouldn't care. I've had to endure listening to ****** music in someone's car, until i was sure i was going to remove the CD and insert it into their nostrils very forcefully.

People don't have to like it, as long as you do, that's what matters.

6. lol buddy, this is a blink 182 thread, not a "listen to what you want" thread

7. ..and getting back on the subject, the only song by them I really liked was "What's my Age Again"

the line that makes it goes thus:

Later On, On the drive home
    I called your mom
    from a pay phone

I said I was the cops
    and your husbands in jail
    this state looks down on sodomy

8. now i think about it i liked all their songs....just it had the fiber of greatness

9. I hate having to listen to and cover Blink-182 ... until we actually do it, then it's great to listen to, play, and watch the crowd reaction.

One of those love to hate bands for me. Are some members gay? I never knew, or cared...

We even have fun with it. When we play "Dammit", on the line where he "did" her, everyone stops but the vocals and we all shout it (or not and the crowd does), for just that little part then all back in musically. Fun fun fun.

10. First poster I ever bought was a Blink 182 poster. Still have it. They were really good.

11. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I've never quite understood the concept of "guilty pleasure" either you like it or you don't, what is there to be guilty about?

12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Way back in high school I hated the band, but all my friends loved them. I told them "one day you're going to be embarassed". I was right.

But like 80's bands, I can see them being a guilty pleasure-type band.

13. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    It's just a saying you use when you like something you know sucks, and you know that other people know the same thing sucks, but for some reason you personally like it in private. For the most part it's something that in for whatever reason engraved into your unconscious at some point in your life, and will be stuck with you forever.

There is really nothing to feel "guilty" over because it's very trivial information, but you get the point.

14. As examples, enjoying hiring prostitutes or using illegal drugs or eating sugary fatty foods we know we shouldn't are the kind of situations we'd call guilty pleasure. Not listening to music. If you can't stand up to your peers on the music you like, grow some backbone!

15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1

on the other hand i enjoy Kelly Clarkson so...

16. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

If this is a blink 182 thread, why is it in OT? :eyebrow:

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The first time I heard Blink, it was a long time before they got popular and they were full of the "new punk" sound. Any more, it's boring...

...then again, I'm old now.

18. last time i checked, just because a forum is CALLED off-topic doesn't mean it has no one topic to talk about.

19. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    But that doesn't make any sense at all, if you like it then it doesn't "suck." I still don't get it... well, actually I technically understand that it's a self-esteem issue where the person is afraid their own interests are not worthy of being considered "good" so they downplay their own POV and call it a guilty pleasure, but it just isn't a concept that could ever really imbed itself in my own mind.

20. +1