1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When did pickguards get so expensive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobertPaulson, Apr 8, 2009.

1. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    Trying to find a tort guard for my new bullet, and I can't seem to find one for under 60 bucks! This is crazy, when did pickguards get so expensive?

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i think it was right about the time someone realized
    that people might want something a little different ,
    and that they could make a nice profit from a relatively simple piece of plastic ... :ninja:

3. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I think stock pickguards have increased somewhat, but the guys making custom pickguards for older instruments (like you have) have been steadily increasing their prices ever since demand increased.

Probably right around when talkbass started. ;)

4. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    yeah it's crazy, with a cutout for a darkstar, im looking at $85 shipped for a tort guard. I think I might give the diy pickguard thing a go.

5. pickguard prices have stayed about the same price as they were 10 years ago. its just now they add on a fuel sur charge.

pickguard for bullet w/darkstar= $12.00
    fuel tax= $73.00
    total= $85.00
    :D

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i cut the mounting hole for my DarkStar pickguard ...not difficult at all .
    just be careful with the Exacto blade .
    here's the thread ...
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342720

:D

7. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    Hmm thanks for the tip, I think I can cut it, part of the problem is even just getting a pickguard for the bullet is 65 bucks, the cutout is only 15 which I don't find horribly unreasonable.

8. The guy at GC today told me that Fender raised their price on all their accessories...

9. Magical_Merlin

Magical_Merlin

Nov 2, 2008
    Kent, WA
    Fender went ballistic. About a month ago I was looking at a Super Champ XD Amp and it was $319. Went back about a week ago and it was up to $399. ***?

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    That's not exactly a common bass. I doubt that any manufactures keep "bullet" pickguards in stock. Seriously, how may of those do you think get sold during the course of a year? So what you're saying is you want basicly a custom cut guard (or possibly VERY low production guard) for the same kind of money as a mass produced guard like a P or J bass?

Sorry, that just doesn't sound reasonable to me.

11. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    I had a custom guard cut a couple years ago and it cost less than 40 bucks.

12. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    PG's aren't cheap. Going the DIY route isn't out of the question if you have a few tools on hand, namely a decent router.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Same material?

Tortoise comes in a number of different grades from screenprint design on vinyl, photo tort, culluloid etc.

Of course a regular multi ply black or white guard is going to be less.

I paid $70 (shipping included) for a custom cut Celluloid Tortoise guard a few years ago.

Labor costs on everything have also gone up over the past couple of years as well.