Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When did Squier turn to poo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Feb 1, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm purchasing a 10-15 year old Squier P-Bass, a 10-15 year old Fender Strat and a 10-15 year old Ibanez guitar for $100.

I know it's a good deal, but I'm wondering when the quality of Squier went to the poo it is today. They were good in the late 80's, right? When did it become the crapshoot it is today?

2. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    You've got it all wrong.

Squier, when they were introduced in the early eighties were at the time the BEST that Fender offered. They were so good that around 1986 the Squier name was dropped from the Japanese made line and the instruments instead became Fender japan.

However; Fender decided that with the climbing price rates, Squier should be a budget brand and made a deal with the Samick Factories and from 1988 until 1997 all squiers were made in Korea. The squiers from that that eara were crap: crummy hardware, plywood bodies and totally smudging everything that a Japanese Squier stood for.

Current Squiers are far superior to the Samick made ones. All of them feature solid alder bodies, quality pickups and good solid hardware, the chinese factories which currently makes them have really high production standards, making it possible to have an affordable quality guitar or bass.

I don't know how you got the idea that squier is "Crapshoot" because their current instruments are on equal terms with the Old japanese made ones

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    disagree

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have found that a lof of Squiers very recent instruments are actually quite good, for what they are. Old Japanese Squiers were amazing. I have an Indonesian Squier Affinity that is great, but only because I did a lot of work to make it that way. A frew years back, most Squier stuff was not worth a new set of strings. It has gone all over the place. You have a higher probability of getting a nice one now than you did years back.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    These beasts are between 10 and 15 years old, how would you rate that era of Squier?

6. I have an Squier J and it smokes my MIM J. I don`t know when it was made because the serial number has faded and it is almost impossible to read. It`s heavier than the MIM, has an overall better feel and has far better electronics. The neck is a one piece, no skunk stripe... which I love.

I couldn`t say how it could compare to a MIA J, but it sure as hell kills the MIM, which by the way, is not bad at all...

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'd say you have a very good chance of getting a winner, Tim. Go for it. If not, you could ebay them for about 100 apiece and make money.

8. MY squier is a 1997 model. I think its better then any other p-bass ive ever played. i went yesterday looking for a MIA P-Bass either Highway one or the regular USA P-Bass, but none compared to the one i have now. i got it for 175$ Canadian last year off a friend, and i'm in love with it.

9. I'd say 2000...so I've heard from people.

10. They never weren't poo.

11. I got a '98 Squier Strat that's awesome. So all squier wasn't poo.

12. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    i had an old suburst squier J, that was actually MIM, the style with the one peice, white, pickguard and control plate. it was one of the ebst playing basses I ever bought, should have never ebayed it, but I made money

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    when did Tokai start/stop being involved with the development of the Squier line?

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What REALLY happened was after CBS sold off Fender all US production of guitars was stopped except for the vintage reissue series. So all other Fenders were made in Japan at that time but Squier quality remained about the same. US guitar production started up again around 1990 or so and basses followed a year or two later (with the Plus and JP-90 models).

BTW there is no "Fender Japan" in the sense that Fender does not own any factories in Japan. Squiers have ALWAYS been contracted out for building and the factories change all the time. I once two brand new Squier Strats pulled out of shipping boxes at GC that were obviously made in different factories (totally different construction details) but had the same model numbers and had arrived in the same shipment.

Squier quality didn't really start to change until they moved manufacturing from Japan to other countries. Over the years they have built Squiers in Korea, Mexico, the USA (!!!), China, Indonesia and India.

In general the Indian ones are the worst of the bunch along with the Squier II models which I believe were Korean....but some other Korean Squiers like the Pro-Tones were quite good. The rare US models (built during a period when the Mexican line had to be temporarily shut down) are considered to be the best overall.

Don't look at the sticker marking country of origin, play the darn thing and use your ears and fingers to tell you if it's cheez-whiz or not. Most of the hype about "what years are good" is total BS anyway :bag:

15. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I have a Fender Jazz bass that has a CN- serieal number, which is supposed to mean it is Korean made. It does not say Squier on the headstock, though, it says Fender. So, have I got a "MIK" Jazz bass, or a Squier model that is not identified as Squier on the headstock? The pickups and pickguard have been changed out, the tuners replaced, and the body has been refinished, so there are no other real clues to go by.

The bass sounds very good and it plays well, so it doesn't really matter. It would be interesting to know more about this beast, though.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My wife used to have a Mexi Squier HM Strat. It was a killer guitar, and only cost $179 new. She would still have it, except her crackhead sister stole it.:(

17. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    But there is a company called "Fender Japan", full name "Fender Japan Kabushiki Kaisha" located in Tokyo (I'm looking at last year's catalog right now - 2005 isn't out yet). Sometimes I hear reference made to a company called "Fujigen" as parent company - I'm not sure if that's an abbreviation, and I'm not sure of the exact relationship. This isn't the first time I've heard it said that "there is no Fender Japan" and you do qualify your statement, but I just wanted to clarify that the company does exist with that name.