1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When did the classifieds get so boring?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chris1125, Jul 24, 2012.

1. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    When I started on talkbass, there was always something new to see. Great fire sale deals, lots of people looking to trade, stuff moved very quickly. Now it seems like it takes weeks before something interesting comes up and any great deals are gone in ten minutes (which come once a month maybe?)... I have always spent way to much time procrastinating with the classifieds but now that I actually have a membership it seems like nothing is moving, no good trade offers, nothing. Am I crazy?

2. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    One word: craigslist

(Okay so it's technically 2 words mashed together.)

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    CL is it.
    I can sell a bass for more on CL to a uninformed buyer then I can here.
    I get cash and no shipping.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I think there's some truth in the OP. The deals and trades are still around, they just get scooped up way faster than they used to because:

A. There are more people here than there used to be, membership I'm pretty certain keeps growing quickly.

B. Most people have the talkbass app, so they're here all day every day and when something awesome comes up, well... not like the days when we had to be sitting next to our computers.

Just gotta be quick. :)

The rest of us just don't really want to sell, so we put up crazy prices and wait for people to make offers we can't refuse, ie: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/warwick-fortress-flashback-900198/

5. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Around here craigslist is all people trying to sell a $30 guitar for $200. I've seen a couple decent deals (not necessarily better then talkbass) and a hole lot of crap. I have only got one great deal in craigslist, never sold anything, nobody wants to buy they just want to look.

6. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Man, that things gorgeous, I've been trying to get a nice trade on my gibson for the better part of a year, have had the different trades back out for no apparent reason and not to many cash offers either. I might just need to take a break from talkbass and come back when there's some new stuff around.

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    That too. :)

All the basses I want to move fast I sell on craigslist. Sold 3 last week. An ATK, a Dano, and a Squier active 5. Tough selling an ATK here when I posted that I got it brand new for $130. I bought it for $130 so I could play it for a year, then sell it for almost 2X as much. While I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that here, for some reason it doesn't sit well with me. With craigslist, I don't have to ship, the person buying it can check it out, and all is good. Same with the Dano. I bought it on super sale, and sold it for about $25 more than I paid. After playing around with it for about 6 months. :) All 3 people who bought from me still got great deals, and all were happy.

Shipping for me is a major hassle. Don't like doing it.

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    As a buyer, I've found some really good stuff on Talkbass. However, I've never been a seller. Frankly, I hate selling stuff; it's a PITA in my experience. I guess that's part of the reason I know that I wouldn't be good in sales. I try to be a good buyer, though. When someone lists an item for sale, unless there's a OBO or "trades considered" attatched to it, I don't bug them with a lowball offer or a trade.

9. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I agree.
    A lot of people here have a real problem with someone making a little profit off things.

10. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Perhaps you're not being diligent enough? I picked up an Avatar 212 Neo on the Erie craigslist for $189 just a few weeks ago. Our drummer just bought a like-new Pearl jazz kit for $300 from a guy in meadville. There are deals to be had.

More importantly though my point was that it's far easier to find a buyer at a fair price on Craigslist, so there's no reason to sell on Talkbass or have to offer a crazy deal.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    That goes on quite a bit here too. I've seen a whole lot of 500-800 dollar basses listed for at least twice that.

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I know a lot of people have fears about selling on craigslist, and while I can understand "fear" I can't understand a complete and total unwillingness to give a shot at getting over it.

I have a close friend I felt like smacking in the head bigtime, because he traded in a saxaphone to sam ash. A saxaphone he could have EASILY gotten about $300 more for (about double what he did get) had he just posted it on craiglsit. He's about to sell a minted out Les Paul deluxe. I told him to see what they'll give him, then give me the guitar, and I'll split the entire profit above whatever they said they'd give him. I'm guaranteed to pick up at least $100 with a simple posting and a few phone calls.

I have a few simple rules with craigslist. They MUST pay cash, I won't even entertain the thought of paypal, bank checks, or anything at all else. I MUST talk with them on the phone, and if I have any uncomfortability whatsoever I'll call them back and tell them I changed my mind and decided I'm not ready to let the bass go. That only happened once. The guy sounded like a drug addict and I didn't want to deal with. And I almost always have them meet me at my place, where I can see them from my 4th floor window before I decide whether I'll let them in my house or not.

I tend to be more paranoid than most, but I really don't think people are looking to rob, kill, or hurt people by searching for bass guitars on craigslist. That's just too dangerous for them. And waay too much work for something that would be very difficult to pull off, and could easily get them killed.

13. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I am finding the classifieds as interesting as ever...more so when I am GASing for gear, but always the first stop for me when visiting the site.

14. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    It's not just talkbass, I think my problem is I'm running out of things to look at/research. I was on talkbass long before I ever picked up an electric bass, I was drawn over to the dark side by way of the OT forums and there always being something new to see in the classifieds and now that I'm playing some decent basses I find myself less and less satisfied with both my basses as well as what's available in my price range. I have always enjoyed window shopping and I ran out of upright basses to lurk on years ago but I guess I thought it would never happen with electrics. I have thought about saving up to buy a great electric that would satisfy all of my gas like a smith or 70's j but being primarily an upright player, I can't bring myself to drop more then a few hundred on an electric.
    That's buying, selling on talkbass is just starting to tick me off because I can't even recoup my money and nobody is looking to trade :(

15. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Sounds like you need a new hobby to GAS over... might I suggest golf? Or perhaps street racing. Both have plenty of gear upgrades between beginner and expert.

16. We must be looking at different classified sections then :p. I've seen more amazing basses for sale on TB in the past year or so than I have in all my time on this site prior. I mean, seriously, INCREDIBLE stuff to be had there for great prices recently. What's more, a lot of it seems to sit there for ages because folks just can't spend that kind of cash on bass gear these days, it seems.

17. For a new person here at TB, I find the classifieds a breath of fresh air. Alot of things are usually out of my price range, but I see stuff for sale here that I drool over and really find interesting. Sometimes not the best deals, but for the most part it's very reasonable.

CL is a joke, unless the seller is a real deal seller with some knowledge in music and instruments, imo. I steer clear most of the time and try to buy used gear at local shops and pay a little more for it. Just to get that personal experience.

Here at TB, you can get a personal experience and EVERYONE has knowledge, or at least the majority. Which is comforting when you buy, or try to make a deal. I have faith in the community and longevity that is TB, which is why I enjoy and trust the classifieds here.

I bought my Jag SS bass from the classifieds here. I acted quickly (which is important) and I felt like I got a good deal, and even if I could have gotten a better deal elsewhere I wouldn't have taken it. I would rather give my money and let a fellow community member (which this place really is) get my buck and help him/her out over someone else who is likely to give me a run around and who i'll never be able to contact again.

I trust TB and the classifieds because we're not on here JUST TO SELL GEAR, we talk to each other and actually get to know each other and lend a helping hand. If we pay a little more just because it's TB, oh well, to me i'm paying a little bit more for knowledge, friendship, community, honesty and to help out someone who has the same passion I do. It's not all about the money or the deal, it's the trust. TB class ads are like old school hand shake deals, those are the best

18. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    THIS.

Great stuff for sale, just sitting there, getting cheaper by the week, with no buyers in sight. Unless it's a Bluebeard or a B3K of course. :D

19. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Is this a ragequit? I didn't know a ragequit could be so low key.

20. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Haha, it's not a range quit, I've been here for five years and I think I'm starting to get bord hmm. It seems like overall there are just the same threads being repeated over and over again with the occasionally interesting moment (mainly arguments and rage quits) that are always gone the next morning.