Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When did they stop making Warwick's by hand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowfreqfreak, Oct 6, 2005.

1. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    Does anyone know when they stopped handmaking Warwicks? I have a 94 Streamer LX 5 String and a 97 Corvette Standard 5. Please help. Thanks

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think i heard it was in the late 1980's.

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Really?

I heard it was '98. It bummed me out because my Thumb is a '99. Or maybe it was some hardware change.

But I could be wrong.

:D

Joe.

4. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    Yeah i heard it was mid-late 90's too... anyone else??

5. should be late '98. But don't be bummed... let your ears/hands be your guide.... not how it was made, that's just silly.

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Silly?

:spit::hyper::bassist::p

Heh heh.

No, I LOVE my Thumb. It is absolutely perfect in every way for me, except one thing.

When I slap I keep hitting the volume knob and eventually volume goes to nothing.

Maybe the bass is telling me something about my slap skills????

But since I slap rarely, it's no big deal.

My Thumb is without a doubt the absolute best bass I have ever owned.

:D

Joe.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You find the answer here:

http://www.warwickbass.com/history.html

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    A few years after Spector did? ;)

9. I heard it was 95 too.

I own a 94 and 95.

yay me.

10. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I believe it was '97 when the last handmade instruments were manufactured.

11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    CNC vs Handmade bs again... :rolleyes:
    I wish I could find the article by a luthier where he expressed his views about this topic.

To summarize:
    If something is done with CNC, it doesn't mean it's inferior; if something is done by hand, it doesn't grant it superiority.
    Even with CNC, there's still a lot of manual work involved.

As far as I know, the high-end Ws are still handmade.

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

It's not so much about whether human hands shaped the neck or a CNC machine. It's more about quality control and wood selection... especially with well proven mature designs.

As long as Warwick pays careful attention to wood selection (which should be the case considering their age-old tagline), the only difference should be that a dial-indicator might not move around as much going up and down the neck. Other than that, they'll sound, feel, and play IDENTICALLY.

If Warwick is what you want, buy one and be happy. Done.

14. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I agree with the above two posts, but I think the reason they were asking is because the drastic neck profile change. Either that or I'm just assuming.

15. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Isn't the major change that Warwick stopped using Wenge/Wenge neck/fb's in 1997. After that they started using Ovankol for necks and Wenge for FB's producing (IMO) an inferior tone.

16. I've got a 98 Corvette with a Wenge neck and fingerboard. I think 99 was the year they changed to Ovangkol.

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Aren't Wishbasses completely handmade? I think I'd take a Warwick, even if it is "inferior" CNC production :)

18. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    I have a '94 Warwick Thumb BO, and had a '97 Warwick Corvette, and the slight quality difference was there. The 'Vette was a very good production instrument, think Musicman Stingray, but the Thumb feels like a high end custom job. It plays even better than my Pedulla MVP.

19. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Well, technically, isn't the thumb the high end of warwick and the corvette is somewhere in the middle? At least thats what i've seen price-wise. Its sort of hard to compare quality of 2 different models.

20. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, I THINK the Thumb Bolt On (AFAIK, there's no neck thru Corvette) is right in the same ballpark as the Corvettes, especially the nicer models like the Jazzman's and such. Neck thru is a whole 'nuther ballpark.

I will say this, tho. The Thumbs sound real nice, but I just can not deal with the neck dive. If I were going to get a Warwick, it'd definitely be a vette. Just wish they'd make a wide spaced model.