Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When did you buy your second bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    So i have played bass for one year in november and i really want to switch my bass (suppose it's what you call gas), but my uncle who is a old drummer says i should play my jump-to-start-kit for about 2 years so i can play it very well and then swith to a real good bass. I believe he's right but when did you switch to your second bass, and what's your second bass?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i switched after 4 years, i hated my old bass so much. now i have a Fender Jazz MIM.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    3 months after I got my first one.

4. I bought my second bass after about 7 months. It was an Ibanez GSR200 and I switched to a Schecter Stiletto Elite 4 to get an active bass and a more modern sound.

If you get a bass you'll be happier with, it'll make you want to practice more too. At least that's the way it was for me.

5. 6 months after I started playing

6. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I agree. If you find a bass that you really dig, and it plays better, you may be more inspired to pick it up. But are you happy with your current bass? You never master any instrument, even Pat Metheny admits in an interview that he wants to learn more...

7. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I bought my 2nd bass a bit over 2 years after buying my first. It's still being built so I've only got my first for now. Hopefully it'll be done in September-October time frame :D

Of course, the lousy thing is hearing, "I called and they said it's on schedule, 4-6 months". Okay, any better idea? What's been done so far? Maybe a pic or two? Anything? Aaargh! Oh well.

8. 8 months

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I bought my second bass in May.

10. i didn't buy a new bass for four years. i've kept the first, but i sold the second. it was time for an amicable split.

robb.

11. What kind of bass are ya getting built?

12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Back in ancient times I got a Harmony copy of a Fender P as a 1st Bass and practised on it for 18 months. The 1/2 inch action on the neck really made for a good work out. I saved my paper route money and bought a first run Les Paul Recording Bass with low impedence pups that was at a music store close out sale. Some one had ordered it but it was forgotten about and was found under some old boxes. Get good on the training bass, it makes it all the better when you switch up.
    Rezdog

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    A little after playing for two years. I still own my first, and play it all the time -- Samick Pbass copy. I upgraded it with Seymour Duncan Hot for P and Hot for J pickups, a Leo Quan Badass II bridge, and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp in December, which was about 20 months after I started playing, so that might count as getting a new bass.

14. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

3 years

15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I had my first bass for 10 years before I developed GAS.

16. 2 to 3 years is good to get familiar with your first bass and be ready to switch to something more confortable.
    My first was a Yamaha (about 150 bucks)
    My second is my Hohner b2aV 5 string headless (550 bucks)
    And Im lookin to switch to a six string now

17. Was about 8 months for me. I started looking after about 6 months for a new bass though, so there was a 2 month period where I was trying dozens of different basses to find the one I would like. I went from a Squier P bass special to a Musicman Stingray5. I would have to agree that when you own a really nice bass you want to play more and that playing not only becomes easier but more enjoyable.

The philosophy that you should become good on a lower quality bass before getting a good bass is hogwash. All you have to do is play long enough to KNOW you are going to be playing a long time. Once you know that, I would say upgrade immediately.

18. I bought my 2nd bass 3 months after my first.

I just bought my 3rd 2 days ago, a year after my first.

19. I waited 8 years to get another bass...

We have a champion here...:D

20. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    7 months after the first one, and about 6x more expensive, guess I wanted to make sure it would continue to be fun for more than a passing interest before spending some real money hehe.